O.A.K. on a wood burning stove - Maximum number of fittings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJF1313

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2009
Pine Barrons, L.I., NY
I know that the OAK battle has been hot and on-going; Pros vs. Cons. Why should/shouldn't I, etc.

What I haven't seen, or maybe missed, is how far and how many turns you can have in/on it. I know of the pellet side, they are more worried about exhaust issues and EVLs, than OAKs.

So, I'll just spit it out -

What is the maximum length, number of 45's/90's, etc., that you can have to feed your stove?

While (we) don't have a specific stove picked out YET, I am planning on building a raised hearth of about 12". And there lies my dilemma. While I can plumb the air from out-side, through the basement, through the floor, and into the base of the hearth, I don't know the EXACT location where it will be tied into the stove. I would also like to incorporate an inverted "P" trap as to act as a heat/cold trap, or a mechanical damper that one of our member invented/incorporated into theirs.

The stove will be a corner install, and I figure that I would come through the hearth in the back corner, then run some 4" flexible metal ducting from that, to the OAK of the stove. Or, maybe, some of the flat, adjustable dryer duct sealed with aluminum tape?

Thanks,
P.J.

Maybe the owner's manual for the particular stove has some info on this?

Out of curiosity, what will the air inlet end look like (on the outside of the house)?

I'm thinking of a metal clothes dryer duct with the "flapper" either removed, or on a cable to close it off when the stove is not needed/used (extended time [2+ days] away from home)

PJF1313 said:
I'm thinking of a metal clothes dryer duct with the "flapper" either removed, or on a cable to close it off when the stove is not needed/used (extended time [2+ days] away from home)

I was able to pick one up from the manufacturer of my stove it was really reasonable like $50 with 8 ft of flex pipe and fitting for the stove. It looked a metal dryer vent but by the time I got the piping and the fitting for the stove I was gonna pay more.

Also the stove manufacture told me that the OAK run should be shorter than my exhaust(chimney) so 16 ft of chimney and like 7ft of OAK pipe so I was good. The worst part was drilling a 4inch hole threw my blue stone hearth.

I burned this stove for 2 yrs with no problems before we renovated the bathroom and installed an exhast fan and around the same time installed a new clothes dryer, first real fire this fall I noticed that the stove was not burning like I had come to expect, I blamed the wood at first until my wife went outside and the front door to the house was left open a crack the secondaries really started to take off and then knew it wasn't the quality of the wood

PJF1313 said:

+1 With the flapper on a cable. Since I've rigged mine up, the condensation problem on the inlet pipe I was having is gone.

hearthstoneheat said:
PJF1313 said:

+1 With the flapper on a cable. Since I've rigged mine up, the condensation problem on the inlet pipe I was having is gone.
+2
Hooking a choke cable to a positive shutoff flapper worked great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.