Oak Find

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

Dec 21, 2015
North Minnesota
found this at the dump. Thinking it is red or burr oak. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Red oak - this makes up over 90% of my wood supply. Usually splits easy but one of the slowest drying woods out there. If you can split it small, top cover and give it 3 years in the stack it will make great firewood - it can really put out the heat!

Awesome!

I have what's in the pic but I was told white oak on the phone. Definitely oak leaves
so we have it narrowed down. lol
My aunt gave me one as a "gift". It was a standing partially dead that the power
company convinced her was the property owners' responsibility. 70+ footer and three
feet at the trunk, 4 ft base. She paid the guys extra to section it ALL into 18" rounds.
(That was the gift part.)

The best part of my first summer on wood prep is that there's 1 1/2 winters busted up
and I literally haven't used the saw since the snow melted. All splits n' rounds, no knots.
The knotty stuff goes into the emergency pile to get sawed and burnt in chunk form if the
good wood runs low. (Gonna end up burning it sooner than later to keep the pretty stuff)

Wishing our dump/recycle places had a wood dump like this, but have never seen it. Nice score!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have what's in the pic but I was told white oak on the phone. Definitely oak leaves
so we have it narrowed down. lol

Red oak leaves are pointed on the ends, white oak are more rounded. But once you split red oak you'll never again fail to recognize it - it has a very distinctive smell that some hate but I love. It's tough to describe. White oak has a sweeter vanilla-like smell and in my experience is a bit stringier when splitting.

Red oak leaves are pointed on the ends, white oak are more rounded. But once you split red oak you'll never again fail to recognize it - it has a very distinctive smell that some hate but I love. It's tough to describe. White oak has a sweeter vanilla-like smell and in my experience is a bit stringier when splitting.
I love the smell as well! It tells me that I'll be nice and warm in 3 yrs! I will walk past my stacks at least once a week to get my fix!

Thanks everyone! Yea I think it smells like cedar almost. Kinda like it. Splitting is easy as and fun with the Fiskars. I could not believe it was just sitting there are the brush dump. I love that place. It has its own culture. Scroungers and scavengers just like me!

Totally agree, on all counts. Red oak is my all-around favorite. To me the smell is a bit like fermented apples, but that doesn't do it justice. Previous discussions in this forum raised the possibility that soil type could affect the smell, which might explain why people have such different opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.