Santa Came Early!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
Log hype! A good mix of red oak, red maple, and ash:

1000000708.jpg1000000709.jpg

Yeah I'm not looking forward to that one but the rest are pretty manageable. I plan to use the base of it as a new splitting block.

Reactions: all night moe
Wow, I would set half of them aside for my friend's sawmill, those logs are way too nice for firewood.

Wow, I would set half of them aside for my friend's sawmill, those logs are way too nice for firewood.
There are a few really nice oak logs. They are a dime a dozen around here though, these are all yard trees from a couple miles away.

Just spend a good hour sharpening and de-gunking the saw just in time for the rain! C'est la vie lol.

A beautiful sight. I want to help.
Can I drive up there from N. Carolina and get a Nissan truckload?
Id make that trade. A truck load for a day off helping. Beer after. RIP your mpg on the drive back.

Reactions: Riff
I would have a loop of full skip semi chisel if I had a bar 20” or longer
Yeah I'd like to upgrade to a bigger saw. A 20" 545 mark 2, a 455 ranger, or really anything 50+ cc with a 20" bar but I have other things I'd rather spend $500 on. My 18" husky 440 works fine no need to replace it. The big logs take a little longer but it gets done.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah I'd like to upgrade to a bigger saw. A 20" 545 mark 2, a 455 ranger, or really anything 50+ cc with a 20" bar but I have other things I'd rather spend $500 on. My 18" husky 440 works fine no need to replace it. The big logs take a little longer but it gets done.
If I got a load like dropped off I’d be tempted to make a table out of that butt log. That’s what happens when you get a really big saw!! Don’t it! They wife has forbid me from bringing any more slabs into the house. Well that is after I make her the bench to match the table!! From where I’m sitting I can see 5 slabs and part of a 6th. Not counting the bench that will get done next week. Now mind-you not one is truly flat.

Reactions: NHWS
these are all yard trees from a couple miles away.
Oak is killer on the chains.
Yard trees are usually killer on chains!
Nice load though...and Gordons "stick" ;lol ...you really need to train him to pull a cart out, load firewood, and haul the cart back!
Like this, minus the pups...
1702260178177.png

Given that he looks like he's chiseled out of granite you'd think he was high energy and worked out. However this is his speed right here and how he spends most of his time. Tough life. Mastiffs are technically "working class" dogs but he's not going to lift a paw lol. And yes, this is a human love seat we converted into a dog bed. 🙂

Yeah the yard trees are tougher on the chains for sure. Lots of weird growth and potential metal. I've found all sorts of interesting things in them. They are perfect for me though. Very local, abundant, and cheap since the mills won't take them. Just have to sharpen a little more often.

1000000676.jpg

Here are 4 hardwood logs I turned into boards including a red oak. Since I am dropping trees, all my firewood comes from the tops and trees with defects. It will take about a year to air dry them. Worst case I can always cut them up and they will be dry firewood. The stack in the back left is all poplar from some big ones I had. Its easier to work with and stronger than softwood plus it paints well.

There are usually portable bandsaw mill folks around that are trying to pay them off by doing some contract cutting. I have a friend that has one that I buy the gas and buy him lunch. He doesn't move his around so I have to deliver the logs and haul the boards home. I did end up with some oak slabs for firewood. I do paint the ends to the logs with a wax compound after I drop them to slow down end checking. Generally firewood logs are not painted so the first 6" may get cut off get rid of end checks.

20230520_174631[1].jpg

20230520_174631[1].jpg

Last edited:
Here are 4 hardwood logs I turned into boards including a red oak. Since I am dropping trees, all my firewood comes from the tops and trees with defects. It will take about a year to air dry them. Worst case I can always cut them up and they will be dry firewood. The stack in the back left is all poplar from some big ones I had. Its easier to work with and stronger than softwood plus it paints well.

There are usually portable bandsaw mill folks around that are trying to pay them off by doing some contract cutting. I have a friend that has one that I buy the gas and buy him lunch. He doesn't move his around so I have to deliver the logs and haul the boards home. I did end up with some oak slabs for firewood. I do paint the ends to the logs with a wax compound after I drop them to slow down end checking. Generally firewood logs are not painted so the first 6" may get cut off get rid of end checks.

View attachment 320508

View attachment 320508
Yeah that's really cool. It would be great to build some furniture with purely local wood. I hate buying it. Id be interested in doing something like that but we live in very different parts of the country. Nobody around here has a band or chainsaw mill. They have a Mercedes SUV and pay someone to do their lawn lol. I'm the only one who even cuts his own grass on my street!

Reactions: Ashful
It has been absolutely POURING outside since yesterday afternoon. My yard is underwater. My muckers were sinking in just taking the poor dog out. Good day to go to work, probably won't get to bucking more until Thursday.

You can be the first of your neighbors with a bandsaw mill!

Pretty soon, those Mercedes will have oak board bumpers! Make it the new, sustainable trend!

• Haha
Reactions: NHWS and Ashful
You can be the first of your neighbors with a bandsaw mill!

Pretty soon, those Mercedes will have oak board bumpers! Make it the new, sustainable trend!
Ha trust me if I had my way I would absolutely get my own mill and a huge barn wood shop to build furniture. My wife is supportive of my tool habit since it directly benefits her but you should see her face when I tell her I need a new saw. "you already have like 20". She isn't wrong but I need the 21st one for something specific!

I'm the smallest house on my street. I do all my own yardwork, heat with wood, have solar/heat pump, don't own a furnace, and drive a tiny little high mpg car to commute. I'm not a green fanatic but enjoy doing what I can and being as much "off the grid" as I possibly can in the heart of suburbia.

Great drop. I've been debating on asking local tree companies to drop some for me. I don't want to pay for it as I can get it free just takes more of my time and driving. I don't have a ton of space so I'd have to get on it once they get dropped.