Santa Came Early!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I always try to get my racks all filled up in spring, which is always a challenge, given my access to the wood lot is across some pretty soft and soggy ground, when things thaw in spring. I try to pack in the several dozen tons of logs while things are frozen, as my only other chance is in the July heat and dry hard ground.

Cold winters with hard frozen ground makes everything easy, other than getting frozen logs un-stuck from each other and the ground. The goal is to be sure all wood racks are full before the summer heat, to maximize the number of summers spent CSS'd.
Yeah that's why I prefer winter processing too. Hard ground/no mud and I also hate being hot when I'm working so the cold suits me. I won't do it after March. I like Nov/Dec best typically and the major snow isn't here yet usually and it's cold/hard out.

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah, that was always my pattern, too. Although this winter is so warm that we haven't really had many chances to work on frozen ground, yet.

Yeah, that was always my pattern, too. Although this winter is so warm that we haven't really had many chances to work on frozen ground, yet.
Yeah only a few days here and there for me as well. I deliberately waited to move all those wood due to mud more than few times. Thankfully I got it done before the weather this week. It's 52 outside right now and absolutely soaking wet.

There's actually standing water in my back yard, right now. The grass was mowed to 3" a few weeks ago, and there are places where it's submerged almost to the tips.

There's actually standing water in my back yard, right now. The grass was mowed to 3" a few weeks ago, and there are places where it's submerged almost to the tips.
Same. I have multiple 30 x 6 ft seconds you could skate on if it got cold. My drainage pond in the front is way overflowing and there's still a few inches of slush in a lot of places. It's only going to get worse as it approaches 60 later.

Make lemonade made out of lemons.

Reserve your dock space on Lake Caw! 50% off, this week only!

Reactions: Ashful
My kids are hoping it freezes so they can skate. It hasn't been warm enough to play pond hockey in a couple years they are chomping at the bit.