Santa Came Early!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Great drop. I've been debating on asking local tree companies to drop some for me. I don't want to pay for it as I can get it free just takes more of my time and driving. I don't have a ton of space so I'd have to get on it once they get dropped.
This amount costs me $100. Another local tree guy will give me about 2.5x this amount, or a full log truck, for $400. I could do the free scrounge thing too there's plenty around but the convenience can't be beat for a small fee. The time saved alone is worth it nevermind my back and vehicle.

Reactions: NHWS
Yes I'm fortunate. I keep the $ ready for him to hopefully keep him coming back!

Great drop. I've been debating on asking local tree companies to drop some for me. I don't want to pay for it as I can get it free just takes more of my time and driving. I don't have a ton of space so I'd have to get on it once they get dropped.
Definitely find a local tree service guy. Reach out to the smaller guys who don’t have a huge landscaping company. I found someone two years ago and he drops trailer loads of wood for me throughout the year. Free of charge. Usually about 1 1/2 - 2 cords per delivery. Very manageable over a weekend to process. I now have 15 cords of split and stacked wood getting me three years ahead and all I need to do is raise my hand when I want more.

I heat my entire house for just the cost of my labor and tools. Not a bad deal.

Reactions: shortys7777
Ha trust me if I had my way I would absolutely get my own mill and a huge barn wood shop to build furniture. My wife is supportive of my tool habit since it directly benefits her but you should see her face when I tell her I need a new saw. "you already have like 20". She isn't wrong but I need the 21st one for something specific!

I'm the smallest house on my street. I do all my own yardwork, heat with wood, have solar/heat pump, don't own a furnace, and drive a tiny little high mpg car to commute. I'm not a green fanatic but enjoy doing what I can and being as much "off the grid" as I possibly can in the heart of suburbia.
But for milling you need a really big saw!

IMG_3096.jpeg

Reactions: NHWS
I'm heading east tomorrow for training for work and I have a 372 XPW with a 28" bar that would make short work of that log pile. Kinda short notice though.

I'll let you know if I'm going to be heading out that way again next week.

Solarguy is a local hero <3. Working tomorrow but will send you a DM. Damn that's a big ass saw. You aren't kidding that would cut these things like butter.

Making progress. I spent about 3 hours today and got the big logs on top done. Tomorrow I should be able to start flying through the more manageable sized stuff.

1000000760.jpg
1000000763.jpg
1000000764.jpg

How many tanks of gas?
About 5 or so. Sharpened half way. Cutting big logs with an undersized saw is very inefficient fuel wise but it's doable. My tree guy is pretty good about giving me manageable logs. Usually only one or two chonkers. I'll be able to fly through the rest.

That is some beautiful wood. How do you split it?
So these logs are all red oak and will split very easily by hand. My wife is 5'4, 120 lbs soaking wet and she can split them without issue. We're going to be getting a splitter this year though as a family Christmas present. Eyeing the 25 ton Country Line at Tractor Supply.

Husqvarna 440 18" bar and a semi chisel chain.

The giant butt log was about 30" so it took full double cuts for each round. Everything that's left is 18" or less so it'll be smooth sailing.

Yeah that's really cool. It would be great to build some furniture with purely local wood. I hate buying it. Id be interested in doing something like that but we live in very different parts of the country. Nobody around here has a band or chainsaw mill. They have a Mercedes SUV and pay someone to do their lawn lol. I'm the only one who even cuts his own grass on my street!
Me too!

If u get a splitter remember you are splitting mostly oak so no need to overload on tonnage. More important is ease of moving. A light splitter you can easily hand move right to where u r splitting and then back to where u store it will make u much happier than on oversized beast to move.

Just learned this from my Utah neighbor who has access to both. He uses the small one, the big one was 1 and done. Too bulky/heavy to easily move around.

That said personally i'm still sticking with hand splitting.

Last edited:
I run a 16” bar with a semi chisel.

I have a 20” bar, but it’s been so long since I’ve run it, I’d have to look for the chain for it! I’m sure it’s on a shelf somewhere in a jar full of oil.

I paint lines on all my rounds too;)

Reactions: bigealta
A light splitter you can easily hand move right to where u r splitting and then back to where u store it will make u much happier than on oversized beast to move.

I recently replaced the jack on my splitter to make it easier to hand move. Well worth the cost and minor effort.

I also split a fair amount of maple, cherry and ash. Occasionally some locust or boxelder. This particular batch of logs is very straight but since I get almost all yard trees there are often plenty of crooks, knots, and twisted pieces. I want one machine that can handle everything as storage is semi limited. I've got room for it in my shed, just got rid of my older snowblower. I think a 25 ton is pretty reasonable and not overboard.

I still enjoy splitting by hand and I'm sure we'll continue to do a bunch that way. It's fun and cathartic. However a splitter is really a time saver and with working full time and two young kids time is a very valuable commodity. I'm also just not the same after injuring my shoulder and we need a back up plan in case something like that ever happens again.

The Countyline 25 ton is a decent machine for the average wood burner...not sure about your area, but I see very lightly used ones pop up for sale sometimes (pretty often really)...usually $3-500 off the store price.
Like this one...I bet it could be bought for $1k
1702601867022.png

I just sold my buddy a lightly used 27 ton Champion for $975...it had only split up literally 28 trees (guy had cleared his city lot) it still looked new!

Last edited:
The Countyline 25 ton is a decent machine for the average wood burner...not sure about your area, but I see very lightly used ones pop up for sale sometimes (pretty often really)...usually $3-500 off the store price.
Like this one...I bet it could be bought for $1k
View attachment 320694
I just sold my buddy a lightly used 27 ton Champion for $975...it had only split up literally 28 trees (guy had cleared his city lot) it still looked new!
I've kept my eye out for decent deals on used but not much available or way over priced. Id rather just buy new for $1500 than used for $1200. I plan to keep it forever so don't mind a little extra $ to start from scratch. That said if I find a steal I'd pounce. My riding mower is a 2012 Husqvarna 38" I got for $600 off a guy that used it twice ever that he paid $2400 to buy. Just happened to log on at the right time. You never know!

Reactions: brenndatomu
Too far?
Pretty good price...same machine more or less (came off the same assembly line, 98% same parts)
1702606828179.png

Yeah too far but thank you, I appreciate the effort. I'm not in a rush. 🙂