OAK kit question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnham

Oct 19, 2007
central massachusetts
I have a Hearthstone Mansfield, and I have an outside air kit installed that I'm not currently using. I have the vent outside, which goes through the rim joist, and ties few feet of flex that's tied into a rigid 90 degree fitting that's mounted to the stove. I guess it's about 6' of pipe at most. The problem I was having is when it was pretty cold out (below 25 degrees) I would have trouble making a really hot fire. Upon inspection I could see the back of my stove was covered in creosote, the two pipes feeding the secondaries looking the worst. I can see the outside air is much too cold, and cooling down my stove, which is why it's currently disconnected - and burning good. So my question is, has anyone dealt with this or something similar? I would like to be using the OAK, I spent the money for it and went through with the install, but I'm not sure what's the best way to preheat the air prior to it hitting the stove. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.