Occasional puff......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I'm embarrased to say I am on my third season of operating my Avalon Mission wood stove (love it !).... but I am still making operator errors that result in my stove puffing occasionally.

To those few here (if any) that don't know what a wood stove "puff" is......it is when you damper your stove all the way down or almost all the way, therefore starving it of much needed oxygen to burn, therefore resulting in smoke/gases building up within the stove........which results in your stove figuring out how to get just a little oxygen resulting in a "mini" explosion within your stove.

Creating a ball of fire in your stove and an immediate release of the smoke within your stove that will always find the weakest section of your stove or stove pipe and enter your home.

I am trying to figure out if using rutland cement on my stove collar and pipe will help push this gas/smoke on up my pipe.

My stove collar is the weak link in my pipe. Here is my problem. I want to be able to disconnect my pipe each season to clean it and not break this collar seal.

My pipe comes out of my stove and up about 2.5 feet to a 90 degree then about 3 feet to exit thru wall.

Any suggestions on how to remove this pipe configuration for seasonal cleaning and still keep the collar sealed with rutland ?

What started this was a 4 a.m. puff.......... after dampering because I loaded way too much wood in these hard to figure out "warm weather patterns" we are experiencing here in Tenn. :)

Thanks in advance.

Robbie

A backpuff explosion will send smoke out whatever your weakest link is - Web claims to have seen such an explosion blow smoke through a WELDED metal seam. Cementing your joints won't really do much to stop the smoke, but it MAY reduce the level of explosions by reducing the amount of air infiltating into the stove.

Don't worry to much about cement making future disassembly difficult. Refractory cement is very brittle, and I've found that it breaks apart quickly as soon as you start wiggling the joints.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.