Odd occurrence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We recently bought a house with an existing woodstove (Appalachian 4N1XL). We had the chimney and stove inspected and cleaned, everything was deemed ok and in good shape. We had used the stove about six times prior to this with no issues.
We started a fire after the chimney guy left, fire was burning about ten minutes and everything was still pretty cold and flue was wide open. I went out into the garage for no more than 2 minutes and when I reopened the door to the house the smoke alarms instantly went off but there was no visual smoke and the temp of the stove pipe was climbing. The fire wasn’t raging and I could see no reason for the symptoms. I backed the air down and everything settled down but what happened to cause that?

Be helpful to know what your install is like. From the little bit of info and looking at a pic of the 4N1XL, I'm guessing that maybe some sweepings ended up on top of the stove and burnt off when you fired up? Is this a stove or insert placed into a fireplace? Is there a chimney liner in the chimney or no?

Thanks. It’s a free standing stove.

Attachments

• 29E79FD6-652B-4996-A0EE-C26EEC6E4F60.jpeg
    29E79FD6-652B-4996-A0EE-C26EEC6E4F60.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 112
It could have been the stovepipe paint. Just a guess, but it's possible the stovepipe got hotter than usual, especially if the bypass was still open. Ten minutes is enough time with dry wood for a fire to get burning hot.

It could have been the stovepipe paint. Just a guess, but it's possible the stovepipe got hotter than usual, especially if the bypass was still open. Ten minutes is enough time with dry wood for a fire to get burning hot.
Accidentally left bk king bypass open on my new install and had paint cure on new double wall pipe. 2 am wake up, no smoke alarms going off but smelled it. Scared the chit out of wife and i. Hasn’t happened since