1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Oh man am I in some deep ----

Post in 'The Gear' started by MasterMech, Oct 12, 2012.

1. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Maybe we'll see the same thing that happened to autos someday. Today's cars are more fuel efficient, more reliable, and safer than ever. And still plenty fast, without any modification.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Gotta post my disagreement here. At some point the EPA (which the Canadian counterpart tends to follow) has passed the point of diminishing returns. Performance and reliability have suffered as a result. Don't get me wrong, we have come a long way since the dirty 70's, when we used to drain our oil over the sewer, but please, enough already. Leave our saws alone!
  3. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    In music too imho. A C
    Thistle likes this.
  4. Larry in OK

Larry in OK Member

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    That feller would get a lot better use out of his saw and firewood if he'd cut bigger chunks.
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Hmmm. I don't think we're on the same page, because that's what I'm trying to say :confused:
  6. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    With all this autotune coming out on these newer epa restricted saws , has me thinking how much are parts gonna cost to replace. Whats different inside these new autotuned saws . Do they have computers on them now ?
    Iam with thee old school i'd take a tried and true MS 460.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I think the auto tune kinda cool but I can do that on the fly. Its pretty easy but it is a level most cant figure out. If your a band geek like me its very easy. ;)
  8. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    My apologies. I think I was a little hungry
    [​IMG]
    jeff_t and smokinj like this.
  9. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    That's what ear plugs/muffs are for lol
    Realstone likes this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

According to Stihl's Canadian website the 461 is .2 lbs heavier than the 460. 14.8 (CDN MS461) vs. 14.6 (US MS460) lbs. That's squat IMO. Power is dead on the same at 6.0 bhp. If the MS461 brings the same improvements to the table that the 441 did, that means lots of low-down torque, better MPG, better air filtration, and a lot better AV. That's more than enough to warrant a test-drive IMO. >>

R versions of the big Stihl saws are "Arctic" setups with heated carburetors and heated full-wrap handles.

I might do just that AC. Just for you. ;)
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

We all love a test drive, but if you want or need a 441 buy one. Same for a 461. ;)
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

FWIW guys had my hands on a real live MS461 this weekend, unfortunately did not get to fire it up but I'm waiting to see if an Mtronic version gets announced...