Oh, so thats how I should set up a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
*busy taking notes*

Please discuss! Lol

I am strongly in favor of this particular guy venting a burn barrel through a piece of dryer duct which is in direct contact with OSB.

I am furthermore greatly amused by the number of times he says "safely" during the video.

I am also amused that he compares the price of the stove to the price of insurance. I am glad that he is thinking about insurance, because his personal insurance company was off the hook for any future house fires at his address the minute that video hit the internet.

I can't wait for the power outages and riots promised by the video.... we'll bask in the glow of our 28 gauge seamed dryer duct, inhaling a heady mix of carbon monoxide, lethal fumes from the galvanized dryer duct, and earthy black smoke from the structure fire in progress. My kind of party.

Also, holy chit. :eek:

Last edited:
It was one of those videos where you really don't know where to start the critique! I like the OSB floor pad.

It was one of those videos where you really don't know where to start the critique! I like the OSB floor pad.

The floor pad ain't ever going to be an issue because the wall is going to be on fire well before it's time to reload.

That's not one of those "well maybe he'll get away with it and maybe he won't" situations, that's a guy setting fire to a piece of OSB in a window frame. In his house. Because he's selling camp stoves for indoor use to people who like to worry about lizard people attacks.

More power to him, I guess.

To be fair the chanel is about pointless destruction of random things. So that install does kind of make sense

Waiting for the attached photos of the ridiculous burning appliance setups. My favorite was the van...

Reactions: theora55
The van! The van!

hillbilly-heater2.jpg

And another quality install using dryer duct as fluepipe!

New_Hamp_0172_DJFss.jpg

And here I thought my stove was set up properly . . .

I really dont mind the Darwin effect for an individual. What sucks is the other people in the household who either die in the fire or end up on the front yard in the snow with just the clothes on their back :(

Not a wood stove but a similar situation 7-year-old girl dies in Lincoln, Maine fire | newscentermaine.com
Two children died within days of each other, seems both were bad wiring work. One house had a bunch of kerosene in the attic! The stories are very tragic. We know a family that lost their home due to a pellet stove fire.

I am not surprised at someone trying to set one of these up for an emergency.

I am a bit surprised that some company actually sells this kit with the galvanized pipe and shows you a picture of how to set it up in your house. I guess Cylinder Stove does not have a lawyer on their payroll because it looks like a very expensive lawsuit in the making.

20210303_094944.jpg

Last edited:
I am not surprised at someone trying to set one of these up for an emergency.

I am a bit surprised that some company actually sells this kit with the galvanized pipe and shows you a picture of how to set it up in your house. I guess Cylinder Stove does not have a lawyer on their payroll because it looks like a very expensive lawsuit in the making.

View attachment 275692

I know it's been said... but that camp stove is vented with seamed hvac duct in direct contact with a piece of plywood.... that is not emergency preparedness, that is an actual emergency.

I wish I had stopped and taken a picture of a house I passed in Maine a few years back.

6" stove pipe exiting the window about 2 feet away from the side wall where it then turned 90 degrees vertical and up for maybe 4-5 feet to a rain cap. The front of the house was covered in creosote and black soot. It looked like a fire waiting to start.

I wish I had stopped and taken a picture of a house I passed in Maine a few years back.

6" stove pipe exiting the window about 2 feet away from the side wall where it then turned 90 degrees vertical and up for maybe 4-5 feet to a rain cap. The front of the house was covered in creosote and black soot. It looked like a fire waiting to start.

That guy isn't alone
redneck-chimney.jpg

And at least he had a vertical AND a rain cap
HALL 7.jpg

In unrelated news, I have decided to market my line of fine pool heaters for indoor use to people who are worried about scary news clips of traffic and utility workers. It is safe and extremely easy to set up, and starts at only $150.

Screen shot 2014-08-30 at 3.59.22 PM.png

That guy isn't alone
View attachment 275757

And at least he had a vertical AND a rain cap
View attachment 275758

In unrelated news, I have decided to market my line of fine pool heaters for indoor use to people who are worried about scary news clips of traffic and utility workers. It is safe and extremely easy to set up, and starts at only $150.

View attachment 275759
Every time I think of buying a rental house for income I dope slap myself and think of some of the things I've seen in life and on the net.

Do you have a patent pending on the pool heater?

Two children died within days of each other, seems both were bad wiring work. One house had a bunch of kerosene in the attic! The stories are very tragic. We know a family that lost their home due to a pellet stove fire.

And while not a child fatality . . . this one ended in two deaths and it was directly tied to the woodstove . . . or rather an action involving a woodstove.

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceBus
In an emergency situation, and if that's all I have, I'd use it.
For an average every day burner, yeah sure that's worth flaming someone over.

Reactions: begreen
Pellet stove vents are typically too cool to set the siding on fire, no? I've honestly never even seen one but I thought you could vent them through PVC.

Unrelated, I am selling a rear vent wood stove, almost new, only had one fire in it, $1500 cash only.

View attachment 275831
No you cannot vent them through pvc and yes they can cause house fires

Reactions: theora55 and jetsam
Pellet stove vents are typically too cool to set the siding on fire, no? I've honestly never even seen one but I thought you could vent them through PVC.
No, definitely not. Pellet stove vents are not as hot as wood stove's but they do get very hot.

Reactions: theora55 and jetsam