Oh, so thats how I should set up a stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I reported it to youtube as unsafe, dangerous (3 dot menu, report)
I doubt youtube will pull it. Somebody assure me this is out of code in every town and county in the country.

If they have codes,the inspector wouldn't have to look hard to find issues.

Reactions: theora55
I don't think a building inspector is going to be much help in a situation where someone has been swayed by an internet video to basically start a campfire on their couch to prevent power outages.

Psychiatrists don't make house calls, so I guess that leaves the job to the fire department. <>

Reactions: firefighterjake
The difference here is the context. For emergency heat, this might work, albeit with some burn marks on the floor. But the danger with that concept is people get lazy and temporary "emergency" heat becomes more or less permanent.
But hey, this also works and helped these campers stay alive in -15º weather.
hot russian stove.jpg

The difference here is the context. For emergency heat, this might work, albeit with some burn marks on the floor. But the danger with that concept is people get lazy and temporary "emergency" heat becomes more or less permanent.
But hey, this also works and helped these campers stay alive in -15º weather.
View attachment 276012

I've slept in tents with stainless camp stoves that ran on diesel and kerosene, and that's about how they looked in the dark.

They are vented with stainless flue pipe and there is an insulated collar to stop the flue from catching the tent on fire.

If you take that same stove and vent it with seamed hvac duct laid right on the canvas, any campers who survive the CO will be camping without a tent.

I saw a guy on another forum build a tent stove with galvanized steel meant for ductwork. I warned him about the dangers, but of course my words fell on deaf ears.

I saw a guy on another forum build a tent stove with galvanized steel meant for ductwork. I warned him about the dangers, but of course my words fell on deaf ears.

I gotta say, even our "properly" vented diesel stoves would leave you feeling a little loopy if you sat next to them. The air was better at the edges of the tent, even with boxes stacked on the canvas you get some airflow there.

I don't believe I've been camping one time since I quit doing it for a living!