OK lets settle this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I have some fire wood that I believe is Ash, some say it splits easy. Mine is like hitting cement with a maul. A friend just gave me an Explorer full of ash that we split together and it looks close but some differences. So what wood do you guys think this is??

000_0296.jpg

000_0295.jpg

Thanks

I believe, and I could be wrong about this, but......I think this is tree wood. And I think you should wait for people who actually know what they're talking about to answer.

Sounds to me, by what you say, skinny, like this wood came out the petrified forest. Try a masonry blade on it and see what you can do. Polish it up nicely and sell it to tourists to make yerself some $$$ to buy something that'll split and burn. Rick

Did we tell ya wood processing was easy?

Same old story. Whack four inch slabs off of the sides working your way around to release the tension in the thing. Then do it again. And again...

Um, it looks like heating wood to me Skinnykid, and about 74 degrees if I am right. :)

Let then cook in the sun a week or two then do what BB said to do. Its a lot easier to split
little chunks off at a time than to split it right down middle.

no man said:
...do what BB said to do.

That's what I always do. :) Rick

fossil said:
no man said:
...do what BB said to do.

That's what I always do. :) Rick

Don't try the thing with a 240 grain .44 mag bullet in the center of the log. Doesn't work.

How can you tell that summer has finally arrived? Because even the hearth forum is getting crazy and still more crazier :cheese:

Very simple skinnykid--if all of the above posts fail. then get out the chain saw and cut those rounds down to 6 inch thick. If ya still can`t split 6" rounds, then maybe you should become a pellet burner??

Why not just chew it up and make your own pellets? Don't need no stinkin' saws or axes...just an old 5-gallon plastic bucket. Rick

11 Bravo said:
Does the 'bubble blowing moisture test' work on ash ? ;-)

Oh Lord. The Morso manual dryness test hasn't shown up here for a while. Funny thing is, when anybody admits it, it works.

Of course you have to hide behind the wood pile to do it, and never tell anybody you blew your wood.

geez guys thanks alot. :-S

I did cut some into shorter lenghts and I can split it fine. I was really just wondering what wood it was. :smirk:

Enough picking on me for today! :p

skinnykid said:
geez guys thanks alot. :-S

I did cut some into shorter lenghts and I can split it fine. I was really just wondering what wood it was. :smirk:

Enough picking on me for today! :p

Not picking. And hey, you ain`t so dumb. You already did what you did even before I suggested it. Kinda makes you a bit of a brainiack in my very humble opinion from the twilight zone. But hey, don`t stop with 6 inch, if it still ain`t working for ya, buck it even smaller.. No such thing as wood of any kind being able to get the best of us ;-)

Brother bart if you roll em like I do I bet I could get it to crack...24grains of H110 and xtp hornady show provide enough expansion, until I get the 460xvr performance center!!!! Sadly it will be a while cause the wife intercepted the 6.8spc upper that was delivered Tuesday!!! :down:

burntime said:
Brother bart if you roll em like I do I bet I could get it to crack...24grains of H110 and xtp hornady show provide enough expansion, until I get the 460xvr performance center!!!! Sadly it will be a while cause the wife intercepted the 6.8spc upper that was delivered Tuesday!!! :down:

It was one of my hot loads. The ones I slip in when some clown at the range says "That gun doesn't look all that bad.". And then hand it to him and duck.

Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Maybe a quick trip to Barre is in order.

I hear they can even crack Yankee skulls there.

Looks like my Ash trees skinny...the bigger rounds you can cut lengthwise (down threw the bark) to make it easier. It's surprising to hear that its so difficult to split...don't forget those Wheaties in the morning.

BrotherBart, the old handload books show up to 26grains h110, I am going to go to 25 and see how they fair...God ol' Elmer loved his 24grain load.

savageactor7 said:
Looks like my Ash trees skinny...the bigger rounds you can cut lengthwise (down threw the bark) to make it easier. It's surprising to hear that its so difficult to split...don't forget those Wheaties in the morning.

Frosted mini wheats for me, thank you!

Come on, you guys are making me feel like a pansy. I will be back after I do a cycle or two. hahaha

No matter what cuttin and stackin is good for the soul!!!

skinnykid said:
I have some fire wood that I believe is Ash, some say it splits easy. Mine is like hitting cement with a maul. A friend just gave me an Explorer full of ash that we split together and it looks close but some differences. So what wood do you guys think this is??

000_0296.jpg

000_0295.jpg

Thanks

Well SkinnyKid, I don't see any maul marks so to split it the first thing is to hit it with the sharp end...did I say sharp? If you can follow the already large cracks and it just may work.

I can't tell what kind it is but if it burns then it is some kind of wood for sure.

burntime said:
BrotherBart, the old handload books show up to 26grains h110, I am going to go to 25 and see how they fair...God ol' Elmer loved his 24grain load.

Two handed hold for sure. Popped off 50 handloads at the range years ago. John Wayned the last one one handed and blew the chain in two on the hanging target and put a hole through the tin roof. Wrist was really tired. Got a round of applause from the rest of the line.

Don't remember the grains I used to load'em with but it was the top of the Hornady chart and the Blackhawk handled'em.

It is just loaded with Israeli factory loads these days. After having a range in the gully behind the house for a few years I have never had neighbor problems.

Definitely Ash. Best way to split it is to go buy a splitter ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.