1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Justin M

Justin M Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I picked up 2.5 tons of last year's Okies for $500. The best part was that they were less than a mile from my house. I haven't burn them before so I'm excited to try them out.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BradH70

BradH70 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West NH
    That is a good score for sure! I burnt them all last season and was very happy with them. They were too expensive for me this season, couldn't find them for less then $290/ton.
  3. djs_net

djs_net Member

Loc:
    CT
    I burned a ton of Okies last year and really liked the heat. Unfortunately my wife didn't like the smell of the pellets (she says they smell like cat piss). I didn't think it was that bad, but there definately was an aroma that's quite noticeable. I have 5 or 6 bags left and haven't touched them this season... maybe I'll try to sneak them in the mix?
  4. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Atta boy! I can't even buy Okies for close to that price. If you bought 2 full pallets you actually have just over 2.5 tons. Either way....works out to $200/ton. Nice.
  5. Justin M

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    It is 125 bags stacked on 2 pallets. I think they may have actually been originally purchased from you.
  6. Justin M

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    That's why I didn't say anything when I found them on Craigslist 3 days ago!
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Like you need anymore! ;em Guess thats why your our hero? :p
  8. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Well then the even better news is they have been stored indoors for their entire existence on this planet! Enjoy.
  9. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I do believe that you could afford them...but don't believe for a minute that you'd be WILLING to spend that kind of money on them.:cool:
  10. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Then u won't be able to afford them! You will be broke like the rest of us.
    jtakeman likes this.
  11. Justin M

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I haven't burned any yet, but here's my first observation: The reviews are right... they stink! Infact, my whole garage stinks now. I'll dump a bag in the stove tonight to see how they burn.
  12. relxn88

relxn88 Member

Loc:
    Ma.
    You ever see those little green pine tree car freshners. Makes your garage smell like outdoors.
  13. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Smart man. Nice score!

Wonder why so many people say they smell like cat piss. The few brands of softies I've burned smelled extremely nice.
  14. jim3854

jim3854 Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    Do they burn hotter than spruce points ?
  15. Justin M

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    After burning them for a few days I like them better than the Hamer's. Consumption went up slightly , and there is more ash. But, the difference in the type of ash is what I like much better. The little ash that there was from the Hamer's would cake up in the burn pot covering the air holes. This would cause pellets to not get enough air and would eventually fill up the burn pot and spill over the edge. The only solution was to scrape the caked layed out of the burn pot atleast twice a day. The ash from the Okie's performs normally and doesn't require constsnd burn pot maintainance. Remember, these result are from last year's Okie's(white bag) and likely aren't the same as the current ones.
  16. djs_net

djs_net Member

Loc:
    CT
    I've burned Okies, Spruce Pointes, Easy Blaze and LG Granules for softwoods. Okies are the only ones that smell bad in my experience. Burn nice and hot though...