OLD BLACK BETTY - another new 30-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Well, finally picked up my new 30 and spent the afternoon gettin' er installed. Now I'm bitin @ the bit for some cool weather in order to fire her up. Picture was snapped this evening just as I finished gettin her in. Since a picture has emerged, I believe Brother Bart needs to get a T shirt out of the closet. Come on mother nature......

Attachments

• Timber Ridge  30 N-C 005 (Custom).jpg
    Timber Ridge 30 N-C 005 (Custom).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 540
Hope it makes you as happy as mine has made our family.

Where's the T-shirt BB?

pen

Looks great! Talk to me about that hearth extension.

Just had too............

That looks very nice. I really like hearth stove installations. Did you do a block off plate and get the blower option on the stove? I can understand your impatience to fire it up...although it looks as though you've got some internals to unpack/install/position first (besides waiting on the weather to permit). I like the looks of your installation very much, and I'll bet you're gonna love the heat that thing puts out. Rick

nah that's just super clean fire brick viewed through a super clean window! Hard to recognize :lol:

I stand corrected. Thanks, Kathleen. I thought I was looking at yet to be positioned firebricks, or even cardboard boxes in there. Been a long time since I peered into a brand new never-been-fired woodstove. Rick

Please tell me you didn't remove that high dollar/upscale gold trim... ;)

Nice install - I'll be looking forward to reading your experience with this stove over the winter.

Bill

The guts are in place. It is as clean as you will ever see it. The 12" ash shelf is my own addition(welder by trade). The hearth extension is also my own creation. I am not running a block off plate and the fan box is my own design using 2 (.25 amp.) pancake fans running off a heat sink. you can run each fan or both together which push about 120 cfm alot quiter than a squirrel cage type. yup, winter should be alot warmer I hope....................

That install sure looks familiar!

Here's yer shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 436
Put a block off plate on that thing. Running from just above the top of the heat shield angled up to the lintel in the front. The heat will just roll out into the room. If you don't you are going to lose a ton of heat.

Been there, done that and made the t-shirt.

BrotherBart said:
Put a block off plate on that thing. Running from just above the top of the heat shield angled up to the lintel in the front. The heat will just roll out into the room. If you don't you are going to lose a ton of heat.

BB not sure how to do a block off plate as the the pipe has a draft control in it. Needed that in the last stove that this one replaced(non epa). Not sure if it will be needed.

Much prettier than my install. Put mine in the basement on Sept 4th. After having another Fire last night. I am quite impressed.

Love that Ash Lip Mod... Looks great. Congrats. Just got my shirt the other day. Looks like there are many members that will be getting there shirt soon.

Glad there will be a few members that can bounce ideas off of one another. Looks Great...

Attachments

• Install done 3 (secodaries).jpg
    Install done 3 (secodaries).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 408
  • Burning 3.jpg
    Burning 3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Install done 7 (Secondaries).jpg
    Install done 7 (Secondaries).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 408
I have a question about how you installed this. It looks like the stove is a top exit flue? Does the stove slide into the fireplace box or is it all the way on the hearth? how did you hook this up? I was trying to see if the flue came out the top of the stove how you connected it into the chimney. thanks ann

Ann from KY said:
I have a question about how you installed this. It looks like the stove is a top exit flue? Does the stove slide into the fireplace box or is it all the way on the hearth? how did you hook this up? I was trying to see if the flue came out the top of the stove how you connected it into the chimney. thanks ann

The stove just slid in place and connected directly to my 6" SS liner via a connector collar. Previously, I had had a older, non epa Regency R-3 (much smaller stove) in the same spot. The fireplace itself started out in life as your standard glass-doored heatolator fireplace. The entire wall is constructed of field stone on the exterior and brick and slate on the inside. Simple installation that has worked just tickityboo for the last 10 years. Now just hoping that the HEAT MONSTER will live up to it's reputation.

BrotherBart said:
+1

rottiman said:
BrotherBart said:

BB not sure how to do a block off plate as the the pipe has a draft control in it. Needed that in the last stove that this one replaced(non epa). Not sure if it will be needed.
BB could answer that,as hes got serious tenure with the 30 but IMO i dont think you need a draft control unless you got a 50Ft+ chimney with monster draft. I got mine on a 30Ft chimney and works great. I would not restrict the flue pipe in any way.

trump said:
rottiman said:
BrotherBart said:

BB could answer that,as hes got serious tenure with the 30 but IMO i dont think you need a draft control unless you got a 50Ft+ chimney with monster draft. I got mine on a 30Ft chimney and works great. I would not restrict the flue pipe in any way.

Couldn't wait any longer to fire her up, so she got her cherry burn today. Good day to do it as the wife is away and I was able to open up the house completely to deal with the burn in smoke. All I can say is I think I am going to love this stove. I can see that the draft control is not going t/b needed for sure. So, I am gonna take Brother Barts suggestion and fab a block off plate ASAP. Englander seems to have an real winner going with this stove. Awesome bang for the $$$$$$$$.

Attachments

• Timber Ridge  30 N-C 010 (Custom).jpg
    Timber Ridge 30 N-C 010 (Custom).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 305
rottiman said:
trump said:
rottiman said:
BrotherBart said:

Couldn't wait any longer to fire her up, so she got her cherry burn today. Good day to do it as the wife is away and I was able to open up the house completely to deal with the burn in smoke. All I can say is I think I am going to love this stove. I can see that the draft control is not going t/b needed for sure. So, I am gonna take Brother Barts suggestion and fab a block off plate ASAP. Englander seems to have an real winner going with this stove. Awesome bang for the $$$$$$$$.

X2..... My stove was New when I got it (Well the Forum member I got it from only had 3 small fires.) He said the Paint was "Burned in". I got the stove to about 650 and it started to stink. I dont think he got it very Hot at all. It had a very Black window when I bought it. I had to scrub it with a Steel wool. The Firebrick in the front were never touched . I have had 2 Fires already and I am about one more drink away from a third.. getting down to 55 tonight.

Rottiman. I could not agree more. For the money. Best stove on the market... For the money. Cant wait for winter.

BrotherBart said:

Took your advice Bart. Fabricated the plate and installed er' today. No doubt gonna make a big difference. Saturday night is supposed to drop to about 36 degrees so will probably give er a test then

Later on when it gets really cold, if you wanna a life changing experience place a little four or five inch "personal" fan on each side even with the front of the fireplace aimed back into that fireplace. Cheap, quiet and moves a bunch of heat out of there. When my blower crapped out and I didn't want to lug that bad boy out of the fireplace I tried that. Ain't ever going back.

And a damn site cheaper than $170 for a blower. $10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.