Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob From Wisconsin

Rob From Wisconsin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2005
    Loc:
    East-Central Wisconsin
    I'd been walking past a tree that must have been fallen for five years in our woods.
    Last night I finally got up the gander (or should I say, my chainsaw) to cut it up & see
    what its condition was. To my surprise, it was in really good shape & appears to be red oak!!
    Got a healthy face cord out of it. What a find!!

Has anyone else out there also experienced the apparent rot resistance of this wood??

2. savageactor7

savageactor7
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 25, 2008
    Loc:
    CNY
    No not really...but I have no problem burning punky wood anyway. It's good for shoulder season and campfires. CNY is the cloud graveyard so when wood hits the ground it's got a shelf life like bread.

3. Rob From Wisconsin

Rob From Wisconsin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2005
    Loc:
    East-Central Wisconsin
    Actually, the weird thing is that the wood wasn't punky at all - in really good shape!!
    Not bad for being on the ground for perhaps 5 yrs.

4. Got Wood

Got Wood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I have seen the same with old fallen oak. What looks iffy on the outside can be real solid when you cut it up.

5. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2008
    Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    I've seen Oak on the ground that was in surprisingly good shape. Occasionally, there was a little punk wood on the bottom. I prefer to trim this off with a hatchet after splitting. It dries a lot faster that way.

6. Rob From Wisconsin

Rob From Wisconsin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2005
    Loc:
    East-Central Wisconsin
    Curious.......because it's been "dead" for such a long time, does it dry faster than freshly-cut oak??

7. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yes it does, but it will more than likely still need additional seasoning.

8. Rob From Wisconsin

Rob From Wisconsin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2005
    Loc:
    East-Central Wisconsin
    Great!! Hopefully it can be ready for the upcoming winter.

9. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Very possible.

10. gzecc

gzecc
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 24, 2008
    Loc:
    NNJ
    I doubt it will be below 30%mc this season. I scored the nicest oak logs from a customer of mine that were down for years laying on rocks 6" off the ground. This wood looked petrified. It still had a 25-30% moisture. It looks so nice cut and split I don't want to burn it! This is in north central NJ.

11. Flatbedford

Flatbedford
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 17, 2009
    Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I cut and split an Oak that about a month ago that had fallen in a storm nearly 5 years ago. The splits looked and smelled like a green tree. There was a small amount of rot just under the bark. I hope to burn it next winter.

12. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2008
    Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    I agree with the posts above. After splitting, the Oak needs at least some seasoning time. Some will still need a year or more. But OTOH I have been very successful burning Oak deadwood which did not have ground contact. I'm talking about stuff that has been dead 4+ years. I did season a few months, but was able to burn it the same year, with good, hot fires and no hissing wood. I also put many of my splits on a grille on top of my running stove for a final half hour or so of drying, then toss them in the firebox. Even that makes a difference. I do have a moisture meter and I use if pretty often. I'm finding my hands are quickly becoming 'educated' so I'm able to make some pretty good guesses about the state of dryness of a split. The moisture meter usually confirms my guesses.

The reason I take the trouble to trim off the punky wood is that it soaks up rain like a darned sponge. I get much better, faster drying after I trim it. I consider it well worth the extra effort.

13. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2008
    Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    I'd say definitely yes, but horizontal deadwood having no ground contact is way better in this regard.

14. savageactor7

savageactor7
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 25, 2008
    Loc:
    CNY
    Oh I absolutely positively believed you Rob...the English created an empire with oak ships. Oak is like the #1 wood burners preference. We just never had the opportunity to cut any up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.