Old Farmhouse radiator pipe insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zulu45

Sep 15, 2008
Central IN
All,

Late last year I purchased a big old drafty ~1860 brick farmhouse. Most of the insulation(asbestos?) on the pipe runs to/from the hot water boiler to the radiators is missing. While the missing insulation was great for holding my basement and crawlspaces at ~60F in the dead of January last year, I am really hoping to avoid ending up on my natural gas provider's "top 10 residential customers" list this year...and going broke in the process.

What is the preferred/most efficient method of insulating the labyrinth of cast iron pipes I have running under my house? Fiberglass R-13 rolls, closed cell polyethylene foam, reflective foils???

Many thanks in advance for the help/advice,

Tim

Saving my $$ for the wood boiler upgrade next year... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.