old pacific energy, smokey fires ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2015
bc canada
have this old pacific energy stove i just plugged into a old brick chimney in a shop. It is smokey when i am burning wood, i don't know anything about it.

There is two big plates up top like a secondary burn place but the gaps for the smoke to go up are on the sides and there is a little hole on each plate up front. Is this stove missing some pieces up top does anyone know or is it just not they less smokey pollution type ? can it be altered ?

I also don't know why there is two different control knobs on it as one is warn off i can't read them.

The chimney and pipes are leaking bit of air at some gaps i would like to fix.

Also how do you clean the air intake passages on this type of stove on or is there anything else that can be improved about it ?

thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_20160119_104815.jpg
    IMG_20160119_104815.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20160119_104826.jpg
    IMG_20160119_104826.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20160119_104802.jpg
    IMG_20160119_104802.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 120
What is the size and height of the chimney? What size is the outlet on the stove? How dry is the wood you are using?

hi, burning good dry wood here is some more pics
How dry is good dry wood?
What size liners are in the chimney? Is that a barometric damper in the pipe?

I see a few issues off the bat the chimney looks pretty short that will reduce your draft. the hard 90 degree elbow will reduce it more. The reduction in pipe size will hurt it even more. You have allot of things working against you at this point.

hi the wood is seasoned for 2 years and has a moisture content of about 10%

There is no liner in the chimney at all just the brick

Yes, on top of what you said i also have a bit of mortar brick joints near the floor that have some gaps. I will be improving some of that system like the 90 degree elbow.

I am wondering about this pacific energy stove though how to use the two dials, how to clean the air passages, and also inside on the roof of the stove, if they two big iron squares are supposed to go that way and the smoke goes off to the side rather than to the front like on other stoves i have seen, and if that plate infact is all that would have been originally up there or should there be some other pieces >? thanks

hi the wood is seasoned for 2 years and has a moisture content of about 10%
How are you testing that? 10% is impossible drying by air in most of north america.

There is no liner in the chimney at all just the brick
You really really need a liner of some sort. Especially if the mortar is failing as you say.

How are you testing that? 10% is impossible drying by air in most of north america.

You really really need a liner of some sort. Especially if the mortar is failing as you say.

Ya i will put a liner on as soon as i find a used one for sure.

I am more curious about the baffle up top on these, and possibly knowing the model of his wood stove. The baffle is just two heavy steel plates ? no wafer board or whatnot ?

I am more curious about the baffle up top on these, and possibly knowing the model of his wood stove. The baffle is just two heavy steel plates ? no wafer board or whatnot ?
I do not know that stove at all but from that vintage i would expect a steel baffle

Ya i will put a liner on as soon as i find a used one for sure.
I personally would not recommend burning it without any liner at all and failing mortar

I'm suspicious that this may not be a Pacific Energy stove. Are there any labels or made in Canada markings? The setup has lots of issues with the flue system. bholler is right and the safety concerns he pointed out are quite valid. This chimney needs a liner.

What is the flue collar diameter? What is the interior dimension of the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.