Old Stove pipe in basement removal? Can I cut it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TMFalgrim

Dec 26, 2022
Massachusetts
Hello,

I know absolutely 100% nothing about stoves, chimneys, or any of this, and I am so grateful that this forum exists.

the house was built in 1870 at some point had a big wood-burning stove in the basement with the pipe connected to the chimney. Pipe sticks out a good 4 feet from the wall, and is uncapped. I’d love to cut it back close to flush or even just cut off a foot.

I crammed the fiberglass in there to cut down the wind noise yesterday. (The white thing on the pipe is just scrap)

Is it safe? Is it possible with a good saw blade, time, and effort?

D22E0F84-E0E6-4707-B29E-DECA10B5210C.jpeg

If you cut it off that will limit the choice of adding a wood stove in the future.
Myself i would seal it off with a metal cap or heavy plastic and duct tape.
As for cutting sure use a metal blade on a sawzall wear a mask.You will still have to seal it up with a cap of some sort if you cut it off.

Reactions: TMFalgrim
If you cut it off that will limit the choice of adding a wood stove in the future.
Myself i would seal it off with a metal cap or heavy plastic and duct tape.
As for cutting sure use a metal blade on a sawzall wear a mask.You will still have to seal it up with a cap of some sort if you cut it off.
Thank you very much! I'll hold off for a bit! We are having the chimney inspected/swept in the spring. That pipe is in the basement. I'd like to put a stove on the main level.

Happy New Year and thanks again.