Older Jotul 8?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squngel

Dec 1, 2006
South Central IN
There are two of these available near me, a 1985 and a 1989. I know this model still exists now as a cat, anyone have any experience with the older pre-catalyst models? I do not even know if these are EPA certified... they both look to be in good shape, though. They take a 7" flue, though, and I really want to install a 6" chimney. I know that going an inch smaller is acceptable with some of the newer stoves, but my hunch is I won't be able to get away with it on one of these.

Opinions/info/experience appreciated. Sorry to start a new thread but I could not locate my old one. I'm the person with an ugly underinsulated house trying to get started on a budget, salivating over all the Jotuls for sale on the coasts and stuck way out in the midwest!

Dylan said:
squngel said:
I know this model still exists now as a cat.....!

'Still exists'. Do you mean still manufactured and marketed?? I don't think so.

oops....okay, I just went back and checked the website I saw a new-looking picture on , it was dated 2003.

the first Jotul 8 were a bit hard to get going anf the combustor package interfered with loading the logs
by 1989 most stoves were Epa cert in anticipation to the new mandates. Minor improvements were made to the Joutl 8
and they drafted a little bit better.

Since you are in that size stove market then why not a VC Intrepid II I believe they are tone of the finest stoves made in their heat range
replacement cats and less than $70 easy to get at and I know I'm burning one right now One can get 6 hours of productive heat on a good load.
That's damn good for t a firebox size It has top smokeless loading it is thermatically controled and very few here will dissagree with my assesment that the VC Inntrepid is one of the finset. stoves in its heat range Oh more improtantly it will draft better and be more user friendly than the Jotul 8
There is a reason Jotul went cat less they never perfected its use when compared to VC. A cat Intrepid II still is one of VC best sellers that's a 20 year run

What is the firebox size on the Jotul 8 and max log length? The Intrepid is a nice little stove, but I thought it had a pretty small firebox.

The only 8 that was a PITA was the 8 TDIC, the 8 TDC worked fine.
VC had a pretty rough past too, The stoves i had in the late 90's and early 00's were very poorly designed.

The original 8's - without cats - were really nice stoves - and because of the relatively small fireboxes did not have bad creosote problems. I would put that one on a list of good older used stoves.

As far as the cat ones, MSG probably knows best. Personally, our store did not like the "in-between" models, and we were very pleased when the new non-cats came out.

Webmaster said:
The original 8's - without cats - were really nice stoves - and because of the relatively small fireboxes did not have bad creosote problems. I would put that one on a list of good older used stoves.

As far as the cat ones, MSG probably knows best. Personally, our store did not like the "in-between" models, and we were very pleased when the new non-cats came out.

Thanks everyone for your help. (even though I am replying to this particular post, all the information is helping)

Craig, here are two separate links to the two I have found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-Stove-by-J...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(current listing to 1989 model)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=260057871927&rd=1&rd=1

(link to expired listing for 1985 model that is still for sale, hope it works)

I know that neither of these has a cat. Does that qualify them as older pre-cat models, or the "in-betweens" you mentioned?

Elk, there is an old review on here that echoes the hard-to-get-going, difficult-to-draft problems you mentioned.

Dimensions, 30 x 26.5 x 17. Cannot find firebox specs buy seller says 18-20" logs.

AFAIK, the Jotul 8 is the predecessor to the F400. Very similarly sized. The OH stove looks to be in good condition based on the picture. The interior baffles and plates show no cracking or warping. If the price is right, I would say no more than $500, then I think it would be a fine stove and a good heater.

- as far as i know - which given the late hour is not much farther than bed. g'nite all.

BeGreen said:
AFAIK, the Jotul 8 is the predecessor to the F400. Very similarly sized. The OH stove looks to be in good condition based on the picture. The interior baffles and plates show no cracking or warping. If the price is right, I would say no more than $500, then I think it would be a fine stove and a good heater.

Thanks for the look and the opinion on it. AFAYK is more than AFAIK regardless of how tired you are :)

I'd like to be able to get it for 500 or under, but I'll be surprised if I can since I've seen some used stoves sell for quite a bit lately on ebay. Even 80's Fishers and Timberlines are going for over 500 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.