Older Stihl, Finicky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
I recently got a 034AV Stihl, had a Stihl Tech work on get a tune up on it. However, I'm having a heck a time with it. My new stihls, I dont have this issue with. But the older Stihl seems to be real finicky and real easy to flood. When I got it back from him, I had him start it before I left and it started up just fine. I tried to start it up there other day when I went to go cut wood. Could not get it started. Called him when I got home and took it back. He showed me how to unflood it. Then tried to start it 2 days ago 4 times, flooded it and had it started twice, but would not stay started. I then unflooded the piston and let it set overnight. Started right up lastnight. It runs like a top when it startsup.

What technique do I need to develop to increase my odds of a successful startup? Can the choke be set too sensitive (carb issue)?

I would try 1/2 choke only....

I am assuming that the 1/2 choke is the Start position, the 1st notch off bottom?

chvymn99 said:
I am assuming that the 1/2 choke is the Start position, the 1st notch off bottom?

Yes set it as normal but one click up before you pull.

Worked like a Charm. Thank you.

I just noticed that I put this in the wrong section. Whoops.... Moderators feel free to move it.

chvymn99 said:
Worked like a Charm. Thank you.

I just noticed that I put this in the wrong section. Whoops.... Moderators feel free to move it.

Yea its loading up to much on full. If its cold out you may want to pull once on full then move stright to 1/2!

Status
Not open for further replies.