Olive wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a tree service drop off some Russian Olive a couple months ago. Some did seem very heavy but other pieces were very light. Doing research people said it's not bad (never did find it on any BTU charts) but stinks when you burn it. Gave most away as they drop off on a regular bases but some is in the split pile for next year. I look forward hearing from others that have used it to get more input.

Russian olive is lousy for burning. A truckload C/S/S a year was as light as seasoned poplar or willow and burned even worse. It required other species in the firebox just to keep it glowing. Not even useful as kindling in my experience.

Found this on another forum:

Re: Olive wood BTU

<table border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
<pre>>Does anyone know what the BTU content of Olive wood compared to other woods?
>
>Sadoun
I'm not sure, but it's got to be high. We cultivate over 700 olive trees in
Western Greece and use olive wood exclusively in the fireplace at the
farmhouse. Pruning definitely has more than one advantage. Olive wood is also
great for BBQing.

Norm

Norm Corley
Athens, Greece
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7003
</pre>
</td></tr></table>

Olive is great turning/carving wood, but i have no idea how it burns. I do know that it is flammable, and that is the most important quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.