Online Wood Burning Quiz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Although I do not agree 100% with their answers I did get them all right because I knew what they wanted. Where I disagree is on seasoned wood. They claim 6-12 months which is fine for some but not all woods.

Question 9 is a rip off. I answered yes, quiz answers said I was wrong, but the explanation says "yes as long as there is no smoke." No mention of smoke in the original question. Sloppy.

Sorry but you can't have a fire with no smoke. With little smoke yes, but no smoke... no. Even my Blaze King with dry wood make a bit of smoke. Even I can tell if the stove has a fire in it or not.

NATE379 said:
Sorry but you can't have a fire with no smoke. With little smoke yes, but no smoke... no. Even my Blaze King with dry wood make a bit of smoke. Even I can tell if the stove has a fire in it or not.

Sure you can run a stove with NO smoke. Thats what the goal here on this site is. You get heat waves but no smoke.
If your getting smoke and you say your woods dry then your not running your stove hot enough before your turn down.
You should be able to step outside your home and see no smoke coming from your chimney if you are operating your stove properly. I may see condensation out my stack in cold weather but no smoke..

Here are two photos. One at -52 with steam condensing. The other the stove is still running but only -5 out.

Attachments

• Online Wood Burning Quiz
    -52.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Online Wood Burning Quiz
    clean burn.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 206
I am going outside and look to the East. Me and North of 60 agreeing on something. ;-)

My non-cats don't have any visible smoke after start-up.

Dunno, but mine does. My pipe stayed clean like the one in the pics for about 2 weeks.

Nothing to do with temp at closing bypass or anything. Stove does it weather it's at 300* or 700* Doesn't bother me though... keeps my house warm and that's all I care. Thing could pour smoke out like I was burning tires for all I care haha!

NATE379 said:
Dunno, but mine does. My pipe stayed clean like the one in the pics for about 2 weeks.

Nothing to do with temp at closing bypass or anything. Stove does it weather it's at 300* or 700* Doesn't bother me though... keeps my house warm and that's all I care. Thing could pour smoke out like I was burning tires for all I care haha!

With smoke comes creosote. And with creosote comes the evil creosote gnome. And with the evil gnome comes the possibility that he sneaks into your house at night and sodomizes you.

I'm just sayin...

GatorDL55 said:
NATE379 said:

With smoke comes creosote. And with creosote comes the evil creosote gnome. And with the evil gnome comes the possibility that he sneaks into your house at night and sodomizes you.

I'm just sayin...
Bunt an old stove for 30 years and very little creosote was ever found in my chimney and it smoke at times, my new stove seems to smoke some and that is at a fairly high flue temp (500 surface).

Backwoods Savage said:
Although I do not agree 100% with their answers I did get them all right because I knew what they wanted. Where I disagree is on seasoned wood. They claim 6-12 months which is fine for some but not all woods.

Agreed. Also, " A smoldering fire that has been dampered down" in a catalytic stove can be just as efficient as a "hot bright fire that has been given lots of air."

Man, it looks like the government really regulates burning there, with "smoke opacity" and no burn days. I'm not getting political, I'm just glad that's not the case out in the boonies where I live. I still want to be a good neighbor. One of my neighbors had one of those early outdoor wood furnaces, that just belched out the smoke. I'm glad he wasn't closer. Now he has a new secondary burner type (that popular brand--something like US Boiler, Classic model), and it has no smoke and burns half the wood.

NATE379 said:

That's funny--I've seen videos of BKs with no visible smoke. A little variation maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.