Ooooh that #@#@$ darn Squeaky Door!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The refrigerator door and the bathroom door was driving us crazy.

So I found some Lithium grease and lubricated them.

Lithium grease does pretty good, has anyone used anything else?

See pics

Attachments

• TRHReFridgeDoorHingeSC.jpg
    TRHReFridgeDoorHingeSC.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 262
  • TRHDoorPinRemovalsc.jpg
    TRHDoorPinRemovalsc.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 282
  • TRHDoorHinge (1)sc.jpg
    TRHDoorHinge (1)sc.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 274
  • TRHLithiumGreaseSC.jpg
    TRHLithiumGreaseSC.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 275
Fifelaker said:
I use liquid graphite. It dosen't gum up like grease does. It s messy so use a rag.

Like this?
It is a spray that is gray and leaves metal nice and smooth. I use it once every year to lubricate the wood pellet stove hopper

Good idea!

The graphite is better for the metal hindes, but the Lithium might be a little better for the plastic refrigerator hinge.

Attachments

• GraphiteLockSpraySC.jpg
    GraphiteLockSpraySC.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 268
Grease will also attract dirt and dust, which will wear the hinges. I favor either graphite or Teflonâ„¢ based lubes.

I like STP oil treatment as a lube.
Lasts longer on sleeve bearings than lithium.

Even petroleum jelly would b good on the fridge hinge, but the aerosol helps drive it in.

heat seeker said:
Grease will also attract dirt and dust, which will wear the hinges. I favor either graphite or Teflonâ„¢ based lubes.

Me also. I've found that petroleum based lubes sometimes cause problems with plastics like the bushings on your fridge.

Semipro said:
heat seeker said:

Me also. I've found that petroleum based lubes sometimes cause problems with plastics like the bushings on your fridge.
You can also shave a pencil "lead/Graphite" into the hinge. The real dry hinge. But I am not sure how long it takes pencil to season:)

I like graphite too, but have been playing with this stuff and really like it around the house.

Has a pleasant smell (like bananas) and just plain stops squeaks. I believe it's modified (or perhaps just glorified) silicone since you can even spray it on boots as a waterproofer!

fa896dbf-f0d8-41d2-a431-cad15d5bf0a4_4.jpg

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.