Open door fire viewing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Virginia - North Carolina
with screen of course. I see Jotul has some models where they say you can do it. How does this effect the 2ndary burn and efficiency?

Also is it possible to do the same with any other stove such as the Englander or the Napolean TimberWolf?

4- finger- Pauly said:
with screen of course. I see Jotul has some models where they say you can do it. How does this effect the 2ndary burn and efficiency?

Also is it possible to do the same with any other stove such as the Englander or the Napolean TimberWolf?

It kills your efficiency and I am pretty sure you can not achieve secondary burn this way.

You can do it. But it sucks. Literally. Stove doesn't get up to temp because of all the air sucked in and up the pipe, snap crackle a pop gets old fast and just ain't what it is cracked up to be.

If you want a screen for a Jotul F3 or a Jotul F600 just let me know. They are on sale cheap since I just used them once apiece. The one for the Sierra T-4500 went to the landfill years ago. I never learn.

BrotherBart said:
You can do it. But it sucks. Literally. Stove doesn't get up to temp because of all the air sucked in and up the pipe, snap crackle a pop gets old fast and just ain't what it is cracked up to be.

If you want a screen for a Jotul F3 or a Jotul F600 just let me know. They are on sale cheap since I just used them once apiece. The one for the Sierra T-4500 went to the landfill years ago. I never learn.

I used my old Fuego Flame screen as a spark arrestor over my burn barrel. Its spent now, and we now have trash pick up at the end of our road about almost a mile away ;)

I sometimes do when I got a huge pile of coals.
I get more radiant heat out of them that way.
Also when doing a rotisserrie.

4- finger- Pauly said:

As BB mentioned the stove loses its efficiency as you basically have a fireplace . . . which as you may or may not know is pretty much is not a good way to heat the home. Ambiance . . . sure . . . but at the expense of not getting as many BTUs in the home . . . and yes, no secondary action . . . it runs too cool.

I believe the general consensus from most folks who have used the screens is that they are rarely, if ever used . . .

The door of my stove will lift right off and the screen pops right in. It's easy and smoke-free, make the fire look and feel warm and romantic. I've used it exactly once.

kenny chaos said:

You really cook in your stove or you're joking?

tiber said:
kenny chaos said:
You really cook in your stove or you're joking?

Dinner last night.

Attachments

• DSCF1430.jpg
    DSCF1430.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 245
Note to self - buy toploading stove so I can avoid the grease pan.

man i got to learn to cook around mine, that looks tastey!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.