Operating temperature question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bokehman

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2007
Spain
I've read lots here about the temps people run their units at but I never reach those temps even though I've tried. Here are my maximum temps:

Left and right just above door, 350F;
Centre above door, 425F;
Stove pipe 12" above stove, 250F (damper closed) 425F (damper full open);
Secondary tubes glowing dull red;
Door glass at the centre, 800F.

Fan runs automatically once a certain temp is reached.

I'm using an infra-red thermometer (calibrated within 2 degrees at 400F) to measure these temps. The unit seems to be kicking out lots of heat but the temps seem low according to what I've read on here. Some say 500F above the door (left and right).

What do you think?

Hi, My stove doesn't reach someof the high temps you read about here. I also have a horizontal pipe issue that I can't change. The highest stovetop temp I have reached is 550*. The stove still puts out plenty of heat, great secondary burn, the glass stays clean and after three months of burning, very little creosote. Frankly, when the stove gets over 500*, It makes me a little nervous and I've been burning wood for 27 years.

Jim

Don't worry about getting real hot temps. It really varys stove to stove. if it is burning good and clean,putting out good heat for you, great ! its doing whats its suppose to. I only run in 400's and get plenty of heat. once in awhile I will kick her up into the 500's "when I fisrt fire it up" But otherwise I run around 425-450 and it works great

Status
Not open for further replies.