Opinion/Advice needed for stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manatarms

Sep 11, 2009
Northern NJ
Despite all of my groaning and moaning..I managed to get a good deal on a BKK parlor model. To be picked up tomorrow. It will live in my family room, which has a cathedral ceiling. The idea is for stove to live as pictured below, against the outside wall. If I run the pipe straight up and out through the roof above the room, the exterior chimney will need to be at least 6 feet high to meet code and will be too much of an eyesore.

So my idea is to run the pipe up as high as I can inside the house, then exit out the side (near the window) to complete the run. I would like to angle the pipe to follow the roof line or at least get into position to make the final vertical run to the cap near the peak of the roof...as my in my amateur illustration below. The problem is I will need to angle the pipe to shoot toward the peak.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Will a single angled "lateral" shot be best..or a couple of over-then-ups (like a zig zag) be better to get to the peak? Do I need to exit the house lower? Will I get decent draft? Will I be able to clean the pipe with this angle?

Thanks guys!

mark

BKKChimney-1.jpg

why not straight up? less expensive for components, better for draft...

Until the stove professionals weigh in, I think you will be MUCH happier going straight up and through the roof. With what you have drawn, I think you are going to create some draft and cleaning problems.

Why 6'? It looks like you would be 10' from the peak so shouldn't have to go that high.

Another vote here for straight up. You will have a hard time running a brush down with all those angles.

This is a natural for straight up. Not an eyesore, it becomes a source of pride. It will need a roof brace and can be painted black if that helps. But the stove installation will be so much cleaner by going straight up (interior) and out the roof. It won't look as bad as you think, really. It'll also make cleaning way easier. Believe me, a year or two from now you will be glad you went straight up to a cathedral ceiling support box and then out the roof.

wendell said:
Until the stove professionals weigh in, I think you will be MUCH happier going straight up and through the roof. With what you have drawn, I think you are going to create some draft and cleaning problems.

Why 6'? It looks like you would be 10' from the peak so shouldn't have to go that high.

stove pro? thats me.. go straight up, if you can.. otherwise offset as little as possible... the plans here are looking at 270 deg of offsets, max you should run is 180

Personally I think the angled run on the outside wall might be as much (or more) of an eyesore as a straight stack. And I think that much outside pipe would need frequent cleaning.

Put it on the inside.You only have two choices of offsets 30 degrees and 15 degrees and your roof is neither.I think that would look worse on the outside of your house than 6' of chimney on your roof. My god what are you thinking. IMO

What's the roof pitch?
It looks like maybe an 8/12?
If so you're gonna hafta be 10 feet out of the roof & need 2 roof brace kits...

what everyone said here i would agree. straight up. add up the price both ways and post what you get. it's going to be big. along with seeing that pipe runing up side of the house. after all said and done you'll say i shoulda listened.

wendell said:

I'm not sure I'll be less than 10 feet from the peak...but if I am more than ten feet from the ridge/peak...then I only need to protrude 3 feet out of the roof, correct?

-Mark

I could also move the stove over a few feet to gain the 10' distance needed from the ridge.

-Mark

If you are 8' from peak and it is a 8/12 pitch. 8 X 8 = 64" +24" =88"

DAKSY said:
What's the roof pitch?
It looks like maybe an 8/12?
If so you're gonna hafta be 10 feet out of the roof & need 2 roof brace kits...

I'm not sure, but maybe a 6/12 or 7/12.

Is there any info available on how far out it must protrude based on pitch? In other words if your roof is a 6/12 and 10' from the ridge...is the pipe always 4'?

-Mark

I think I found it:

To figure out how much pipe you will need above your roof line, multiply the rise or numerator of your roof pitch (3 or 4 or 5, etc.) times ten and add 24 inches. This is the total number of inches of pipe you will need above where you penetrate the roof.

Is this correct?

-Mark

If you are 10' or farther from the peak with a 6/12 pitch. it goes like this 6 for the pitch X 10 for the number of feet away = 60" + 24" over anything 10' away =84". So 7' of pipe out the roof and one roof brace kit.Solid fuels chimney lesson #1

Thanks Daryl!

Build a wooden chase around it and side it in the spring and you will like the looks of it a lot better.

My vote would be for a straight shot up . . . believe it or not you may find the look to not be as bad as you may think . . . better yet, cleaning will be easier and it will be a lot better in terms of a draft.

Second choice . . . out the side and straight up . . . and with this option you could build a chase around it eventually to "prettify" it in the future if you opt to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.