Opinions on log splitter brands.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

After reading about what log splitters are out there it seems the general concensus is that Huskee and Speeco are the two brands that are the best bang for the buck, is this good information or do some people think other wise?
Also there a big differance between the Honda GC and the GX motor or not enough to worry about?

Speeco/huskee--same thing. Biggest diff between gc and gx, ones commercial and ones homeowner. duribility testing on commercial products trickles down to homeowners stuff. either one will last a long time for a homeowner.

I have 2 of the gx motors and they are very good! Around 100 cords split no issues yet.

My own take on splitters . . . Huskee/Speeco (same company) and the MTD line (and their clones) seem to provide the best bang for the buck for the average home owner who is looking at buying a hydraulic splitter for his or her own use. Iron and Oak splitters are highly rated by some folks here, but quite honestly they are quite a bit more pricey. Some folks have had good luck with the splitters in Northern Tools or Harbor Freight . . . other folks have not had good luck.

My own opinion on engines . . . originally I was dead set that I wanted a Honda engine . . . and I read the debate on the two types . . . and then I realized that most folks say the Briggs engines are pretty reliable these days . . . and even if the engine craps out parts are readily available . . . and not overly expensive. I think you would find the same line of reasoning would hold true for the two Honda engines -- they're both pretty reliable and parts are readily available.

I agree Jake. Mine (MTD) has a Briggs. It is a 20 ton splitter which at the time I wondered if it was going to be big enough. It does very nicely and is plenty fast enough. Any faster and I could not keep up with it so it would just be wasted speed. I actually rarely run the motor at the highest setting either. Only if I get some big gnarly stuff will I increase the speed. Simply put, why run at full throttle when 1/2 or 3/4 gets the job done quick and easy enough?

The splitter was purchased around 20 years ago and has split so many cords I lost track years ago. For example, for one fellow I split 25 cords one year. Then I split probably 10-15 for his father. I've split for others too and even loaned the splitter. It keeps on doing its job very nicely although I do have to add oil to the engine between oil changes.

My 28 ton Speeco has been rock solid. I wanted the Speeco branded model instead of the TSC Husky because I got a little better cycle time with the engine I wanted- different configs available at Speeco. TSC has only 3 or so configurations they label from Speeco....So the Speeco was little hard to find in VA....but I got one halfway across the state and pulled her home!

Mine has a 12 second cycle time....I think the MTD I looked at was 15 or 17 seconds.....that adds up......

highlander, don't forget that's only if you use the whole stroke. I also noticed that some people forget to consider the stroke distance.

S

Well if Im working the same round with either- Im probably going to be faster with the 12 second time than 17 seconds given same travel-yes?

The Iron and Oak ones look nice and there is a sale on them right now.

Fatigue is more of a factor than cycle time. More ways to cut a few sec's on other that a spliter. (like big saws and razor chains) Log lift would be cool!
Also like the chair and just sit there and get comfy your going to be there awhile.

Yep- I want to weld a better deck on the end or side of mine to put splits and unfinished halfs- bending over to pick up halfs is time consuming and tiring. That would be a definite help. And maybe figure out a way to do a 4 way split....

highlander, yes--though if you're working on 20" pieces and the times are for 25" travel then you'd be talking about 10 seconds vs. 13. I only mention it because my electric has a quicker speed, but it always goes back to home when the button is released. SO: although my MTD is 'slower' it's actually faster when I only use the distance needed.

Doesn't really matter: they're both WAY faster (and easier!) than manually splitting.

S

Quite honestly Old Spark picking the size splitter, engine configuration and looking at the speed is all well and nice, but for me personally the real feature I wanted in the splitter was the ability to go vertical . . . because even though I joke with Dennis about the way he splits wood (and I really do prefer splitting in the horizontal position) I find it very useful to have a splitter that can go vertical for those wicked heavy pieces that I cannot physically lift up to the splitter . . . to me this feature is one of the most important features.

firefighterjake said:
Quite honestly Old Spark picking the size splitter, engine configuration and looking at the speed is all well and nice, but for me personally the real feature I wanted in the splitter was the ability to go vertical . . . because even though I joke with Dennis about the way he splits wood (and I really do prefer splitting in the horizontal position) I find it very useful to have a splitter that can go vertical for those wicked heavy pieces that I cannot physically lift up to the splitter . . . to me this feature is one of the most important features.
It's funny you mention that as there are drawbacks to it also with the placement of the wheels and the height of the beam, I figured if I bought one that can go vertical that I would use it in vertical almost all the time.

I have a TRoy Bilt with a Honda engine- can't recall which model engine, but it's a 33 ton. I have abused it for a few years and it still works great.

Only issues- fuel was leaking from the tank- pulled it and just tightened the screw in drain piece.

Blew off a hydro line recently- easy fix, and my fault.

Honda engines absolutely rock for reliability.

Regarding Engines...

After borrowing a splitter seasonally, we finally bought a Wood General 28 ton splitter about 15 -17 years ago. I has a Tecumseh. It's at another location from where I am right now, but I believe it has a sleeved piston. We keep the carb/air filter clean, change the oil every season (and hydraulic filter and oil every couple.) We do about 8 - 10 cords per year. 'Doesn't even smoke visibly. 'No problems yet. It is a noisy sucker, though.

Regards,

Dexter

About an hour ago I took my splitter to a neighbor's house as he has some nice red oak to split. I did some splitting for him last summer too. But as we were unhooking the splitter he asked how old. He guessed it was about 4 years old. Not close as it is somewhere around 20 years old. Still works like it did when new except we have to add some oil now and then to the motor and I did put on a new filter. Looks new; works as well as new. Little 20 ton and I do not worry in the least about cycle time. I'm not out to set any records; just want to get the wood split. It is fast enough on the cycle time that I don't even run the engine at full throttle.

Backwoods Savage said:
About an hour ago I took my splitter to a neighbor's house as he has some nice red oak to split. I did some splitting for him last summer too. But as we were unhooking the splitter he asked how old. He guessed it was about 4 years old. Not close as it is somewhere around 20 years old. Still works like it did when new except we have to add some oil now and then to the motor and I did put on a new filter. Looks new; works as well as new. Little 20 ton and I do not worry in the least about cycle time. I'm not out to set any records; just want to get the wood split. It is fast enough on the cycle time that I don't even run the engine at full throttle.

+1 Weight in weight out...Grab a Seat could be here awhile! (took that one from your book) lol

After looking at and using different splitters, I'm not sure you can really go wrong on any of them--it seems like all the parts are easy to replace, so even if you picked up a 'budget' unit you could replace with better parts.

By the way, Dexter, Tecumseh made a series of engines for quite a few years that Sears and others used in splitters, snowthrowers, mowers, etc. They were brutally powerful, incredibly bulletproof, but CRAZY loud! My father, two brothers, friend, neighbor, and I all have snowthrowers (ranging from 4-10 years old) and they've all been perfect.

Of course, Tecumseh's out of business now.

S

Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis, how often to change oil, filters, etc. with your amount of wood processing and years of splitting I would like to know. I heard some of the old splitters, especially the Tractor Supply ones were really difficult to change to oil, and they have improved upon that. I don't know if you really have to change oil every year.

A lot of people will change oil once a year on all small equipment. Most of these operate in dirty environment, take in water, and the oil can get nasty. Plus- it's hard to keep track of what needs it when- I have a bunch of equipment to service.

+1 on all the positive things said about Honda. I have a 27 ton Troy Built and have loved it. I pulled my splitter out this summer after sitting for 4-5 months (while my pile of unsplit wood grew) and it started first pull. I thought that was very impressive.

I personally wouldn't go any smaller than 27 ton. I've managed to find several rounds of cherry each year that I can't split with my splitter. I imagine I'd be finding far more unsplittable rounds with a smaller unit. But that's just a guess....

stee6043 said:
+I personally wouldn't go any smaller than 27 ton. I've managed to find several rounds of cherry each year that I can't split with my splitter. I imagine I'd be finding far more unsplittable rounds with a smaller unit. But that's just a guess....
I planned on going with a 20 tonner because most people say that should handle 99% of what I run into, not sure what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.