Opinions on Quadra Fire 1100i?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mk48

Nov 27, 2013
Dalton, Massachusetts
I've been looking around for a pellet stove insert and found a used Quadra Fire 1100i. The stove is about 18 years old but seems to be in great shape, from the pictures I've seen. The seller says all electronics and blowers work fine (but yes, I am going to verify that it runs in person before committing.) It also has the newer-style burn pot. He's asking $1200, which seems to be a pretty good deal. Does anyone have experience with this stove?

Greetings, I heated the upstairs of my house for 11 years with a Quadra Fire 1100i and it was a darn good stove. In those years I replaced the combustion blower, one igniter and had the burn pot welded up just before last season. I cleaned it once a week religiously and one deep clean a season. She would miss fire and not light once in a while but that was about the only quirk it had other than just getting a little too loud for my small living room. I sold it last May for $800.00 in good running order, probably could have gotten more this time of the year but oh well. If you can hear it run that would be a bonus before laying out any money

Mike

From a guy who works on them, I have several thoughts. The parts for them are starting to get expensive and if I were to wager a guess will probably be phased out within a few years. The combustion blowers especially are getting very pricey. They do last a while but when you are looking at over $500 for a fan it might be time to look at something newer. I'd say if you can get it off him for $600 it would be worth it, especially if it's in working order. Make sure you spin all the blowers to check that the bearings etc. aren't going bad.

They are great stoves but Quad has come a long way since then. Its a tough choice but were it me I'd look for something more recent and pinch my pennies until a 1200I came along. It's tough to find out you have a piece of machinery you paid great money for and a fan costs half what the stove costs, even tougher to find out parts are becoming scarce or not available (which hasn't happened yet, but it's not impossible).

Way too much for that stove. Where do you live? There are 2 locally on CL for $300

Thanks, everyone. I live in Dalton,MA (West end of the state,) and I didn't see much else on CL in the way of inserts that didn't seem too beat-up or in need of a lot of work. I'm sure part of the problem is that I procrastinated until heating season to start looking. I probably won't end up going with this stove unless I can talk him way down, especially considering that I could get a brand new TPI35 for under $2,000, which would have the warranty and be eligible for the tax credit.

Yeah, I'd wait if you can and I'd skip the 1100I altogether. They are pretty close to being phased out parts wise...

I've not heard of the TPI35 but there aren't too many terrible pellet stoves out there these days by my standards. 80% of the pellet stoves I service need a good cleaning and not much more. Other than that, usually it's a combustion blower that gives up the ghost because it has 8 years worth of ash stuck in it's gills.

Status
Not open for further replies.