Osburn 1800 Insert temperature reading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkTN

Nov 25, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I had an Osburn 1800 wood burning insert installed in my fireplace this year, along with an insulated chimney liner. I'm trying to get the hang of this thing before it gets real cold here. I've been lurking on these forums and learning a ton about how to operate a wood stove, but one thing I can't figure out is how to take an accurate temperature reading. The top of the insert is covered by these fins/vents which is where the air blows out when the blower is running, and that never gets very hot at all. And of course the surround blocks me from accessing any more of the top area of the insert.

I've got an infrared thermometer but what should I be pointing it at? The hottest surface I can find on the exterior seems to be the metal that runs vertically between the window panes. But that never seems to get above 390 degrees or so. I can point the thermometer through the glass and get readings a bit over 400 degrees, but I'm skeptical if that is an accurate reading going through ceramic glass like that. Should I crack the door open for a second to point the thermometer inside to get a reading off the inner wall? Anybody have any success sticking a magnetic thermometer somewhere on one of these?

I actually thought about getting a digital thermometer with a wired sensor I could run back behind the surround and place on top of the stove or on the pipe coming out of it. Has anyone done something like that before?

I feel like I'm operating in the blind right now because I have no idea if I'm over firing or under firing this thing.

I have osburn 2200 and I measure in the middle of top horizontal bar. I have no problem getting it to 600. Right now it is at 300 and my reload was done about 5 hours ago and I will refill in about 1 hour.