Osburn 2200 or 2400?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfenn1

Nov 16, 2006
I'm considering a Osburn 2200 or 2400 insert. I like the look of the 2200 with the bay window but haven't been able to get a good picture of the 2400. The 2200 is only $50 more but the 2400 is a bigger insert. Does anyone know the benefit of one over the other? Does the 2400 require an 8" flue? Thanks for your help.

Bigger is always better in my book. I bought the 2200 Bay window and I now wish I had bought the bigger 2400. After a while looks go and functionality rules. The 2400 has a much larger firebox which means longer burn times, less feeding and more heat output!!! And if you want less just tamper it down with the air intake lever

You may also want to consider an insert with an ashpan. As a new user to inserts, I wish someone told me about ashpans. How life would be much easier with an ashpan. Look at this option before you buy. Your wife might really appreciate it. Less ash, less spills, less mess, less dust...

I agree with all said except the looks statement. I still find the look of the bay window a major bonus. Of course my stove heats well, but if it didn't then I'm sure size would become more important. The 2400 is huge, so you'll still get a great fire view. You might want to look at the Quadrafire with the bay window also. If you considering a stove that large, you really have to consider the PE summit insert.

(busting your chops!!!) You've got to be kidding. You clearly have NOT been paying attention. Look at all the posts by RooSpike. He's the local PE summit spokes man...and it's NOT a CAT stove.

If you want perspective on CATs...look to ElkIMEG. He burns VC CAT stoves, and I'll bet he'll say they aren't any harder to burn than a Non-CAT. A very slight diff in operation.

PE Summit and Osburn 2400 are two of the biggest stoves out there and are very comparable.

wingnut said:
I have the 2200 and it is working great for me. I looked up some info on both the 2200 and the 2400. The 2400 does have a larger fire box but is only rated at 49,000btu and the 2200 is rated at 75,000btu http://www.nevelsstoves.com/osburnstoves/osburn_wood_inserts.html

I think Nevel needs to do some work on their Osburn specs. Osburn lists the 2400 insert as up to 100,000 BTU and the 2200 as up to 75,000 BTU.

http://www.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=247

I'd have to agree with Brother Bart I am looking at the Osburn Brochure right now and it says the 2200 has 75,000 output and the 2400 with 100,000 output. Nevel needs to update!!!

Hmmm, kind of funny. I think that the salesperson probably went to this site thinking it was the official Osburn site:
It lists the 2400 insert as:
* 3.5 g/hr. weighted average
* 1.6 g/hr. at 21259 BTU/hr
* 11900 to 40900 BTU/hr
http://www.osburnstoves.com/html/2400insert.html

But it got me too. 8-/ :red: I was thinking to m'self, boy Osburn seems to have a really rinky-dink website. That didn't sit well with me so I went back and found the error. Edited the original posting with the correct link for Osburn: http://www.osburn-mfg.com/ My apologies to Osburn fans out there.

Thanks for straghting that out for everone! The spec. make more seince now Looks like they used the EPA spec. not the one for seasiond hardwood.

tfenn1 said:
I'm considering a Osburn 2200 or 2400 insert. I like the look of the 2200 with the bay window but haven't been able to get a good picture of the 2400. The 2200 is only $50 more but the 2400 is a bigger insert. Does anyone know the benefit of one over the other? Does the 2400 require an 8" flue? Thanks for your help.

Hope I caught you in time before you buy "any osburn stove". We purchased a 2200 Baywood in late 2002 and had it installed late February or early March in our just built brand new home. We burnt it all fall and winter of 2003-2004 without problems. Only thing that kept happening was the door casket kept coming off and needing replacing.

We started burning it for the second year in late October of 2004. We burnt it pretty much every day and night and one day about a month later I noticed brown lines on my cieling and exterior walls where the studs would be. My first thought was a moisture problem until closer inspection! When I attempted to wipe at these brown lines with a wet sponge, the brown immediatly turned black and would not wipe clean but got all smeared. To make a very long story short, my entire 1700 foot home and every single thing in it, walls, wood work, cabinets, everything in those cabinets, furniture, clothing, linens, food ect. was covered in a brown greasy film. I have to tell you that there is only one place this could have come from and that is from this osburn stove and at no time while we where burning it did we have smoke or anything visibly emmitting from the stove.

You can only imagine the clean up job we had to deal with. Hours upon hours of washing with industrial strenght degreaser. Hundreds of dollars in furniture cleaning and dry cleaning bills. And even still today we are facing repainting our home becuase on exterior walls this grime ate into the paint.

We spent just under one thousand dollars bring expert after expert into the house top figure out what the heck was wrong and have come up with no solution.

My retailer will not assist me. They stopped carrying the Osburn line and will only offer me an "exceptional deal on a new different brand stove. The company in Montreal that is the "new owner" of the Osburn Manufacturing Line" will not assist me because the original Osburn Manufacturer went bankrupt around the time I bought my stove. They have agreed to look at the stove as long as I pay for the shipping charges there and back. I live in Manitoba and can only imagine the cost of shipping a 500 pound stove all that way. The other issue is that the door does not sit tightly against the stove, the door or the stove is warpped, but which it is cannot be determined unless I send the stove to Montreal. I tried ordering just a door and was told they are no longer manufactured and I cannot get one.

Basically what we are left with is a stove that looks good but we would not dare burn and have not since November of 2004. It makes a good candle holder and plant stand and not much else. Between the cost of the stove, the thousand bucks in trying to figure out the problem and the huge clean up costs, we are into this stove for well over 5 grand. Pretty expensive candle holder wouldn't you agree.

Right now I have filed a complaint with the Consumers Bureau but I'm really not holding my breath.

That sounds a lot more like the chimney was not set up properly. I only get minor dust from mine. Did your stove have a hole in it? It's a welded box, not really likely to leak anywhere except door or flue exit.

Who did the door gasket replacement, the dealer or you? Is the gasket a press fit or cemented in? It seems odd that a gasket would fall out if it were glued in place. Have you tried the dollar bill test on the door gasket?

We have spent over one thousand dollars bringing tecnicians into our home to inspect the stove. No holes and everything including the chimney has been installed correctly. We only burnt well seasoned hard woods and always made sure the chimney was clean.

As far as the casket coming off. In all my phone calls to the dealer I learned that the stoves that where manufactured around the time the one I bought, they had a casket coming off problem. I intalled two replacement caskets myself and the techs than came into our home installed two of them. But I have e mail after e mail from SBI in Montreal that swears on a stack of bibles that a non sealing door would in no way be the cause of our greasy slime problem. They say that the way these stoves are built to work a non sealing door is a non issue.

Some people might think that we do not know how to properly burn a stove and that might be the cause of our problem. The same time we bought the osburn we bought a second smaller stove from a different manufacturer. This smaller stove was installed in our free standing all season 600 sq. foot sun house. This stove was installed by the same installer and we burn it exactly the same way as the osburn and have had no greasy slime issues what so ever.

Bummer. What a bad experience. I hope you get some resolution here. What is the Osburn connected to? A chimney liner or stubbed into the flue pipe?

FWIW - that is a door "gasket". A "casket" is a container, the most common variety being what they carry you off in, aka a coffin.

I would find it extremely odd to have an oily greasy stuff on the walls from a stove, if it's creosote how would this form inside the house?
Is the chimney fully lined? Does it share a Flue with something else? Do you have multiple flues here? Is your other stove on a different chimney?

Thanks for the giggle...I needed that :) Been really stressed out trying to deal with this stove issue. I think the casket thing is probably fruedian on my part :).

I hope we see a resolution too but again, not holding my breath. We live in a new upcoming cottage country area with many many new and very expensive cottages being built. I figure if we end up with the status quo on this issue, I am going to drag this stove out to the road, string a zillion lemons all over it and that should send a pretty major message to anyone else building and thinking of buying and Osburn Stove.

Attachments

• 13 foot ceilling using fan to distribute heat thru-out house.JPG
    13 foot ceilling using fan to distribute heat thru-out house.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 860
The technical term escapes me but as you can see from the pic I posted the chimney is only used by the one stove, has no angles and is a double lined chimney and sits just over 4 feet above the roof line. I might add I we had a very expensive cap on it that is designed specifically to not allow down drafts.

Don't know if the stove that covered everything in my house is creosoot or what, all I know it was a brown greasy film that turned black when it was touched by something wet and would not wash off unless with a de-greaser product.

It is a mystery but my plants look kinda good on the thing wouldn't you say :)

Bozlee said:
The technical term escapes me but as you can see from the pic I posted the chimney is only used by the one stove, has no angles and is a double lined chimney and sits just over 4 feet above the roof line. I might add I we had a very expensive cap on it that is designed specifically to not allow down drafts.

Don't know if the stove that covered everything in my house is creosoot or what, all I know it was a brown greasy film that turned black when it was touched by something wet and would not wash off unless with a de-greaser product.

Well that answers that question
By saying chimney we are led to believe its masonry which usually has one or more flues. :)

I'm surprised to hear that you're having problems with your Osburn. I have done a ton (too much really) of research into different fireplace inserts and am actually about to drive to the dealer and pick up my Osburn 2200 Insert. One of the reasons I chose the Osburn is that I couldn't really find any complaints about them. All the reviews I read were positive or had very minor concerns. You do now have me second guessing a bit, but I'm going to give it a try. I do hope you can get your trouble sorted out and fixed, that stove is way too nice to just use as a plant stand :-/

Bozlee said:

Sounds like soot to me. Did the stove smoke a lot when you opened the door to load it?

Status
Not open for further replies.