Osburn Stove Loud BANG at heat up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2010
Placer Co. CA
I have an Osburn Regent 1000 woodstove. As it heats up it pings a little with "nice" soft pings, but then, after 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the speed of heat increase, the stove makes a rather large bang noise. Makes me jump even though I know it is coming. Happens every time but only once and then it is ok. It is rather annoying and I was wondering if you have any idea what could be causing this and how to rectify.

I took out the baffle plate at the top, just a heavy metal iron plate, and thought maybe that was it, as it takes the direct heat blast from the fire... but how do I tell?

Any help would be appreciated. We moved into the house with this stove, and it is nice other than this big bang...

I wrote to Osburn to ask if it might be the baffle and this is what they said (not very helpful);

"Good day,

Effectively, the baffle can expand and make noise when it is cooling down. We have not received similar feedback on that.

Best regards,"

4303981627_f04930dcfb.jpg

I hear it all the time in the oven with baking sheets. I wouldn't see why it couldn't happen with a baffle. Just keep an eye on the baffle, then check it when it happens.

Many of us get that at times.
When you have a lot of volatile gases in there, until it gets up in temp, those gases might build up, and at the right temp, boom.
I notice it more when I load the stove to the gills, as opposed to when just putting an average size load in there.
I seem to think mine is happening above the baffle or lower part of the piping. I'm guessing the gases are gathering there, and once the baffle gets up to temp and the secondaries kick in, then they ignite up there.
For me, its not an earth moving explosion, more like a loud thud. And never notice any change in the firebox itself. That is what leads me to believe its happening above the baffle somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.