oslo airleak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtdiesel65

Oct 24, 2008
VT
Hi

I've used the stove for 5+ years now, but I can no longer throttle the stove down using the air control. The slide slides freely open to close and there is a noticable difference between it being closed and fully open. The problem is when it's closed, the stove behaves like it used to when it was half open. I put on new gaskets on all the doors and still had the problem. I then took a piece of paper and covered the hole that is on the bottom on the back of the stove. I did this while the air was in "shutoff" mode. There is enough draft there to cause the paper to get vacuum stuck over the hole and I found that covering the hole does in fact throttle down the stove. So that tells me that the air leak is either the air valve or there is an internal leak from the intake into the firebox. Over the last couple years, I have noticed a few bits and chunks that dropped out of that hole that is in the back. I don't know if that was gasket material or creosote wood bits or whatever.

I guess my first order of business is to take off the air valve cover and check for wear or obstructions. Is there a way to check for wear or things to look for to determine if all the parts are in good order? I'm thinking that I might have to make some type of obstruction to make sure that no air can get by the valve and then see if there is still a draft. If I still have a draft then I would think that I have a firebox leak. No draft would imply bad valve. But, do these stoves have some draft regardless of position of air valve?

any ideas?

thanks

Clean the stove out thoroughly. Then give it a good inspection, focusing in on the corner seams. At night or with the room darkened, shine a bright light on the inside of the stove towards the seams and from the outside look for light leaks. If you find that a seam needs sealing, clean that area, dampen it, then work in some stove cement and smooth is nicely. Let the cement dry per directions and break in per directions.

On my Jotul, the slider air valve came off the lever that moves it back and forth, and caused similar symptoms to what you're seeing. The lever moved but not much happened. Had to disassemble the air intake assembly to see it.

pmac said:
On my Jotul, the slider air valve came off the lever that moves it back and forth, and caused similar symptoms to what you're seeing. The lever moved but not much happened. Had to disassemble the air intake assembly to see it.

This could happen iin the oslo for sure, access is through the dog house on front bottom lip of firebox, mine takes a 10mm socket. It's a simple design in there, open 'er up and check it out.

Also, sounds like firebox stove cement may have deteriorated as mentioned, in the corners and/or along the inner edges.

I re-did my stove cement last year in the first year of burning and it's been ok since.

Status
Not open for further replies.