Oslo install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to installing my new Jotul Oslo.

Also added 10' of double wall class A chimney in order to get about 16' total for good draft.

Due to the truss layout I had to put the support box closer to the wall which only gave me 5" to the pipe from the wall.

Given that my house is block, I could have just pulled out the drywall and painted the block. But I decided to pull off the drywall and re-frame with metal and cover with 1/2" durock. Skimmed out and painted to match existing wall.

I have attached photos of the process so far.

One more trip to Lowes to get a few more brick pavers to finish out the hearth in order to get the required protection.

I'll post photos of the new chase I had to build if anyone is interested.

J.P.

Attachments

• Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 318
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Mud.jpg
    Mud.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 297
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 334
Looks great, it's just missing the fire!

Way to go JP. Switching to an interior chimney is going to be nice.

BeGreen said:
Way to go JP. Switching to an interior chimney is going to be nice.

The new chimney is working very well.

If I had this set up with the Nordic I believe I would have had much better performance,and less smoke, but still not enough heat for the whole house. There is absolutely no smoke when I open the door now.

This stove is one powerful heater! I can actually heat my whole drafty house with this thing. It's great!

Tonight will be the first real test since the temps are supposed to be down into the mid to low twenties.

Although, I am a convert to the interior chimney. I am not a big fan of the whole exposed stove pipe thing, but the straight shot up the roof, and good draft is worth it.

Thanks to Hearth.com, and all the folks, for providing a venue to share the advice, good and bad, about wood burning.

J.P.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the stove seems to have a generous back clearance. If yes, this should be a non-issue.

What is the distance from the rear of the stove to the wall? Does the stove have the rear heatshield?

Sorry, that's too close, no matter what the wall is made of. The minimum without rear heatshield is 12" to a protected surface, 18" to an unprotected surface. Follow the manual's clearances. Increase the space or add a rear heatshield and move the stove out an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.