Oslo Secondary Manifold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2015
Mountain Dale NY
Last season I knocked the secondary burn tube manifold loose in my stove. I removed the top of the stove and re-installed the burn tube assembly. While burning the rest of the season the secondaries work ok but not like it used too. Just want to know if I should use stove cement to the joint between the manifold, where it attaches to the stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey firewood- absolutely. The manifolds bolt to the back of the manifold housing but are sealed with furnace cement. I always put a bigger washer under the attaching bolt too, it holds it better for the future.

There's a reason the manifold let go in the 1st place too of course. I've found that while the tubes themselves rarely fail, the cast part of the assembly on either end may. Look for signs that the cast parts have warped or separated. If air leaks out of the joints between the upper and lower halves , then it won't be directed through the tubes and to where it needs to go for optimal combustion. You may be able to cement these gaps, or maybe replace the assembly all together. Or it may be fine, but definitely worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.