Outside Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
The Quadrafire 2700i insert I am getting has outside air capability. The existing ZC fireplace has outside air ducted (and things do get cool in the hearth area!). The dealer says he's never installed this option on a 2700i and suggested if I wanted outside air, I should just leave the ductwork and keep the outside vent unblocked and it will suck in the cool outside air. House currently has oil heat with inside air intake, dryer, and (potentially) an underslab radon removal system.

-Should outside air intake be avoided unless absolutely necessary?
-Should I just see how things work and then go from there (that's my current plan :) )
-Is there a remote-controlled lever kit to turn off or on outside air? (Note that the stove would still get air from inside if air was forgotten to be turned on.)

The cooler your intake combustion air, the less efficiency you will have with the insert. Therefore I wouldn't resort to that option unless you can't get enough air from the living space. Hard to imagine that scenario, but it's possible.

That's interesting, roac. I didn't know that.

What's the rationale? It can't be to keep emissions down, I wouldn't think, for the reasons I stated in my post. Or if it is, it's bass ackwards logic.

Well, excuuuuuuuuusssssssssseeeeeee me!

Guess there's at least two sides to every issue. Thanks for providing the link, roac.

There are vents which automatically suck in outside air into the house when the inside pressure drops sufficiently to cause them to open. They are completely passive devices, and open and close based on the pressure differential between the inside of the house and outside. You can install one of those in the room with the stove. If you place one strategically, you can direct the cold draft which normally goes across the floor to the stove to a part of the room which is not occupied much.

In Canada Outside air is required. I know your are restricted by your existing ZC size but the 2700i has a small firebox and
has problems with approaching manufacture claims In fact it falls quite short of them. Might be ok for a room but not much more

Marcus said:
Here's an opposing point of view that argues against using an outside air supply:

http://www.woodheat.org/outdoorair/outdoorairmyth.htm

The PE Summit Insert I installed uses outside from a combustion air vent I left open. Being that my house is air tight, this was the best choice. Never had a problem lighting the stove with news paper or a egg cartons..

Status
Not open for further replies.