Outside flue corrosion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

godblsmnymkr

Oct 15, 2017
Canada
Hey guys. the flue in the pic is attached to a zero-clearance fireplace thats at least 20 years old but more likely from 1993. from some quick google searches, it looks like corrosion from the inside of the flue maybe. i've heard some advice to use a steel brush on it and then use some high heat paint. i've read other advice that said just to replace the pipe. is there anything i can do to fix this and is it safe to use for now?
thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 2.47.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 2.47.45 PM.png
    978.3 KB · Views: 91
Looks like stainless steel?? I might get after it with a little navel jelly and if it is sound call it done.

Hey guys. the flue in the pic is attached to a zero-clearance fireplace thats at least 20 years old but more likely from 1993. from some quick google searches, it looks like corrosion from the inside of the flue maybe. i've heard some advice to use a steel brush on it and then use some high heat paint. i've read other advice that said just to replace the pipe. is there anything i can do to fix this and is it safe to use for now?
thanks!
Yeah water got into the insulation and it is rusting from the inside.

Looks like stainless steel?? I might get after it with a little navel jelly and if it is sound call it done.
Yes but stainless can still rust. That pipe is shot

Reactions: Mech e
thanks for the reply. thats the worst section of the pipe. the one above there's a bit of corrosion and the section above that there's just a little. is it still safe to use for fires for now?

thanks for the reply. thats the worst section of the pipe. the one above there's a bit of corrosion and the section above that there's just a little. is it still safe to use for fires for now?
No it tells me the insulation has been saturated many times and is most likely not doing its job as well as it should be.

Thanks again for another reply :)
I really can’t afford to replace the flue right now. How likely you think it is that the pipe will hold up for another season? What’s worst case scenario here? Ty!

Thanks again for another reply :)
I really can’t afford to replace the flue right now. How likely you think it is that the pipe will hold up for another season? What’s worst case scenario here? Ty!
Worst case scenario is the insulation is deteriorated enough that is causes a house fire. No one can tell you if this will happen or not. But I can tell you it is not as good as it should be