Oval to round modification....will it work??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOOC1

Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
MA-VT-RI
My wood burning insert had an odd ball 7" oval flue collar on it. My chimney reline kit is a stainless 6" M Flex. I had my local steel shop make up a 6" round adapter to replace the 7" oval. The stainless liner to stove adapter that came with the kit fits nice & snug down inside the 6" round piece mounted to the stove. I will be tearing out my entire damper frame to make the entire process easier. Now it will be a crap shoot to get the 6" flex liner down my 8x12 clay liner! What do you guys think....shouldn't this work?

Attachments

• stove 005.jpg
    stove 005.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 353
  • stove 003.jpg
    stove 003.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 336
  • stove 004.jpg
    stove 004.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 349
  • stove 001.jpg
    stove 001.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 343
Temporarily maybe, but that looks like light gauge, galv. steel which I believe is not appropriate or approved for this usage. Why? Was this way less expensive then getting the proper heavy steel adapter collar that BB pointed you towards?

Good question...everything is the same size as what came with the stove. Everything you see in the pictures came from with the stove setup by a liscensed chimney sweep. The only item that I had made up is the 6" round flue collar that bolts to the angled piece. Maybe I could eliminate the piece that I think you are saying looks on the thin side and mount up the 6" round flange directly to the stove? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• stove 006.jpg
    stove 006.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 320
  • stove 008.jpg
    stove 008.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 312
  • stove 007.jpg
    stove 007.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 330
  • stove 009.jpg
    stove 009.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 321
Why don't you just see if you can buy the Oval Liner to fit the stove? You have an 8x12 Clay tile pipe, wouldn't this be a better fit for you? I'm no expert, just wondering if it's a better possibility.

Once again thanks for the help guys. The insert itself has an 8" oval opening in the top. The stove came with two oval adapter(s)seen in the picture above that mount over an 8" oval opening in the top of the insert. One is an angled box with a large oval cut into the middle of it the other is a flat piece of steel with n 7" ovalized piece welded to it . What I would like to do is replace the 7" oval piece with the 6" round that I had made up. The manual does state that 6" pipe can be used. So I have been trying to figure out what makes the most sense. I already have a M Flex 6" stainless liner kit so obviously I'm doing the best I can to get converted over to that 6" size. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Once again thanks for the help guys. The insert itself has an 8" oval opening in the top. The stove came with two oval adapter(s)seen in the picture above that mount over an 8" oval opening in the top of the insert. One is an angled box with a large oval cut into the middle of it the other is a flat piece of steel with n 7" ovalized piece welded to it . What I would like to do is replace the 7" oval piece with the 6" round that I had made up. The manual does state that 6" pipe can be used. So I have been trying to figure out what makes the most sense. I already have a M Flex 6" stainless liner kit so obviously I'm doing the best I can to get converted over to that 6" size. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Use it. As long as it is a heavy guage steel the same as came with the stove you should be fine. If you had access to stainless and had something made from that it would be bulletproof. Otherwise, it will most likely last a long long time; but you will need to check it's integrity every couple of years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.