Over $200 a ton = more expensive than Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relxn88

May 20, 2008
Ma.
It's that time a year again (checking prices for this coming winters pellets) and I had hoped the prices for pellets would have dropped. But, it seems like I'll just sit out another year using oil. Oil is $1.82 here and expected to go down more by November. The cost of heating worksheet:
http://www.travisindustries.com/CostOfHeating_WkSht.asp
break even point for oil at $1.82 is just under $200 a ton for pellets. Still got a ton of pellets left over from 2 years ago. Might burn them, every now and then, just for old times sake.

It's that time a year again (checking prices for this coming winters pellets) and I had hoped the prices for pellets would have dropped. But, it seems like I'll just sit out another year using oil. Oil is $1.82 here and expected to go down more by November. The cost of heating worksheet:
http://www.travisindustries.com/CostOfHeating_WkSht.asp
break even point for oil at $1.82 is just under $200 a ton for pellets. Still got a ton of pellets left over from 2 years ago. Might burn them, every now and then, just for old times sake.
Same...except I only have 1 bag left over from 2 years ago, I MAY pick up 20-25 bags just to have on hand for weekend burns.

Agreed. When I drop my old peerless pin style oil boiler down to 70% efficiency (which is probably generous) compared to my triple pass Biasi pellet boiler at 90%+ I am still cheaper at $283/ton delivered. I can't wait to start burning pellets again soon!

2015 Surveyor 192t

2015 Colorado Z71 V6

120K BTU Pellergy wood pellet Burner on 3 section triple pass Biasi boiler

3.5 ton interior bulk pellet storage bin

Reactions: bogieb
I plugged your numbers into this calculator, at 1.80/gallon and pellets at 200/ton, pellets are still cheaper heat.
http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-comparison-calculator.php

chart readings / oil 85% eff. pellet . @1.80 oil = $15.52 - pellets 80% eff $200/ton pellets = $15.15

here where I live, $200 a ton pellets are called horse bedding. The more nominal price of pellets here is $259/ton which your chart calculates to $19.62 per mil btu.

Last edited:
With heating oil at $3.82/gal (July costing Thunder Bay) and pellets at $280/ton ... pellets are still cheaper by $600 a year using the fuel calculator here
https://www.hearth.com/talk/calculators/fuel-cost-comparison

Using the nepa calculator pellets $24.24/mbtu vs. oil $39.35/mbtu
Yearly cost comparison on that calculator: Wood Pellets $2,909.09 vs. Fuel Oil No.2 $4,721.73

You've got to really watch these fuel cost calculators for built in biases. Everything from the efficiency of the appliances to the assumed btu per lb of wood.

Reactions: Don2222
I couldn't agree more that these calculators are skewed. I know from many years in my home that on average I use 2000 gallons of oil/winter. Since switching over to pellets I burned 13 ton two winters ago and 9 last year.

So if I compare two years ago (coldest winter ever lol) vs an average year at these record low prices=

2000 gallons at $1.85 =$3700

13 ton at $283 bulk delivered= $3679

I will save money this year burning pellets no matter what these calculators say. I think in my case it's a mix of the poor efficiency of my oil boiler which is 185k BTU compared to the high efficiency of my triple pass pellet boiler. Plus it's 125k BTU which provides a longer consistent burn and I don't lose the efficiency of short cycling. Keeps my 21 cast iron radiators nice and toasty!

Things on paper don't always fit every scenario. Proof is in the pudding!

2015 Surveyor 192t

2015 Colorado Z71 V6

120K BTU Pellergy wood pellet Burner on 3 section triple pass Biasi boiler

3.5 ton interior bulk pellet storage bin

$3.82 A GAL FOR OIL!!! Is that taxes in Canada that causes the high price? I truly have sympathy for you and if I lived up there I'd definitely be using Pellets.

No just the ability to pillage ... HST on top of that at 13%. Unleaded Gas locally is $1.099 to $1.045/litre translates to $4.16 to $ 3.96/gallon Cdn. $3.049/gallon USD. Unleaded gas price includes Ontario road tax... International Falls price is $2.39/gallon or $3.178/gallon Cdn. Guess where I prefer to buy my gas when I can:) Summer/hunting season is a little tougher with bridge line ups...

PS - just in Manitoba and was paying $0.98/litre;hm

Oil $1.68 here or less, pellets are $259...Having a evenly heated home with no work involved....PRICELESS

Reactions: Peterfield
Oil $1.68 here or less, pellets are $259...Having a evenly heated home with no work involved....PRICELESS

$1.49 here currently. I filled my tank back in Feb for $1.29 when oil was at a record low. Do the math. At $259 a ton pellets are almost double the cost.

Attachments

• heatingoil.JPG
    heatingoil.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 158
$1.49 here currently. I filled my tank back in Feb for $1.29 when oil was at a record low. Do the math. At $259 a ton pellets are almost double the cost.

Agree!
Best around me is $259 @ HD. Filled up 2 oil tanks for $1.39/gal. I have 34 bags left over and I am not buying any this year.

Last edited:
I live in a trailer unit that has oil fired forced air for heat. Except in the bump out that is 20X10 which has no heat at all. This is were I have my pellet stove. So running the stove is my only option. The stove has saved me a lot of money in the past 4 years of living here. The only time my furnace comes on is when the outside temp goes down to 10 degrees or less. Then it only comes on as a booster.

Reactions: jackhammer
Propain in my part of MN is about 90 cent per gallon and no work to set a remote thermostat for the freestanding gas stove. Have about 2 tons of pellets stored and another ton or so of corn should go a long way towards keeping the heat in the slab of the basement.
Checked the price of pellets at the stores this AM and are going for about $225 to $249

$1.79 here.... talk of fuel prices going up soon because of a big spill.
Who knows.....?

Dan

Gas pipe line that runs from Tx east then up the coast. They want to start up by Thursday but various agencies are slowing that proposed start time. The fuel oil line is ok. BPs plant at Whiting IN is down and that is hitting the Chicago area very hard.
All should be back online before October

Much ado about nothing of consequence. The industry looks for any excuse to raise prices but due to supply, prices will drift back down again shortly.

$1.80 in NH. Still have 1T of pellet from 2 years ago - I burned just 9 bags last season. Not buying this year...

Reactions: Pellet-King
$1.80 in NH. Still have 1T of pellet from 2 years ago - I burned just 9 bags last season. Not buying this year...
Same here, burned maybe same amount, have not cleaned my stove in 2 yr's, don't miss it either, here's a pic from 2 years ago I saw on my Facebook page memories

10628034_733872836679166_5341369293562067627_n.jpg

45 here, woke up at 2:30am window fan running...I bet alot of you are burning this morning.........hahah I'm going boating at 7am in a T-shirt

Envious of heating oil users... My furnace is LP. Still $2.39/gallon here in NH... Still cheaper to burn my pellets @ $234/ton.....

Local store selling pellets for $200/T but it has a hard road to hoe as propain price is down to 79 cents.
Waking up to 47 degrees this AM and winds to crank up to 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.