Over $200 a ton = more expensive than Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just paid 0.94 cents a gallon for propane. Cheapest it's been since I bought my house. I don't think the stove is going to get much use this winter.

Oil is cheap, but my pellet boiler is quite a bit more efficient than my 30-year-old cast-iron Burnham dino burner. With pellets at $200 a ton I think the bang-for-the-buck equation is leaning toward pellets for me.

Your probably very right as crude jumped over $2 this afternoon and US weather long range forecast has the NE in for a real winter

Reactions: vinny11950
OPEC just agreed to cut production and oil jumped on the news. Not sure if they will keep their agreed to target since in the past OPEC nations always cheat and sell more, especially the ones that need cash. But Venezuela is falling apart and they are having trouble servicing their oil extracting equipment to the point that they are not producing as much as they used to and may reach a point where their production falls off the map. I bet other OPEC nations would love this to happen as it would keep them from having to cut their own production too much. Not sure if the price of oil will climb much, but $50 a barrel is right around the corner.

Reactions: Tegbert
When it hits $50 it will open the doors for others to open the wells and bring on drilling rigs I think. Two other African countries are trying to get their production back up too.
Another thing for thought is Congress for the first time overroad the veto of Obama on the issue of sueing the Saudi's. That may make them have a bit more resolve to get the prices up!?

With heating oil at $3.82/gal (July costing Thunder Bay) and pellets at $280/ton ... pellets are still cheaper by $600 a year using the fuel calculator here
https://www.hearth.com/talk/calculators/fuel-cost-comparison

Using the nepa calculator pellets $24.24/mbtu vs. oil $39.35/mbtu
Yearly cost comparison on that calculator: Wood Pellets $2,909.09 vs. Fuel Oil No.2 $4,721.73

Im just a few hours east of Thunder Bay. Where the heck do you get pellets for $280/ton? I dont even want to say what I pay for a 70 bags of La Cretes

Im just a few hours east of Thunder Bay. Where the heck do you get pellets for $280/ton? I dont even want to say what I pay for a 70 bags of La Cretes
Local North American Lumber brings them in ... The full lift costs $420 (60 x $7). A ton is 40 bags hence the $280.

How far east of TBay? There is a company on kijiji that has LacWood pellets in bulk ton bags for $359 ... Oliver-Paipoonge. LacWood is based out of Hearst. Two weeks ago in TBay, Home Depot they still had LaCretes for $6/bag.

Local North American Lumber brings them in ... The full lift costs $420 (60 x $7). A ton is 40 bags hence the $280.

How far east of TBay? There is a company on kijiji that has LacWood pellets in bulk ton bags for $359 ... Oliver-Paipoonge. LacWood is based out of Hearst. Two weeks ago in TBay, Home Depot they still had LaCretes for $6/bag.

Schreiber/Terrace Bay. About 2hrs from the city. $359 for 2450lbs of pellets is actually a pretty good deal(per kijij ad). Be great if I lived close to there. Im roughly $500 for 2800lbs here but thats delivered. Maybe it would be worth to load a safe amount in the back of my truck next time im in the city.

Last edited:
I initially bought a pellet stove like many others did to save money. Then I realized the break even point after cost of the stove (if you buy new) plus the cost of pellets will take you at least a few years to make back if pellet prices were to stay low. I have about 3.5 tons ready to go for thus year. I will probably mix and match heating sources due to oil being so low. I did this last year as well. I had a ton left over due to the above average temps last year. The point is I enjoy having options and my wife loves the stove so all is well.

Maybe it would be worth to load a safe amount in the back of my truck next time im in the city.
The 1 ton tote might be a little tough on your truck unless it is a 1 ton or has beefed up suspension. I've done the 1 ton with bags but distributed over the bed.
Work at the mill in Terrace Bay? SIL's Dad is there...

When it hits $50 it will open the doors for others to open the wells and bring on drilling rigs I think. Two other African countries are trying to get their production back up too.
Another thing for thought is Congress for the first time overroad the veto of Obama on the issue of sueing the Saudi's. That may make them have a bit more resolve to get the prices up!?

I have a brother-in-law in the oil exploration business and they are already turning U.S. wells back on and U.S production is ramping up again. That is what no one is mentioning that is different than before; we can now out-produce OPEC and further, we get most of our imported oil from Venezuela, not the Middle East.

As far as the long range winter forecast, I think most are regurgitating the Farmer's Almanac prediction for a cold, snowy winter. If I can find my Quigi board or crystal ball, I'll let you know whether it's going to be cold this winter or not.

Last edited:
I had been buying Greene Team from Lowes for few years but now cannot get any coupons to work so is now $314/ton vs $220/ton when I use coupons.

At $280/ton for Hammers dont think it is worth it.

I do like to have 20 or so bags to have fires once in a while. If I could get a good pellet fore under $250/ton I would grab a ton.

Just put 100g of oil in tanks for $1.59/gal. Hopefully will drop to that or lower and I will just fill tanks and be done with it as at at $1.59/gal vs $300 a ton pellets are nearly twice the cost.

Edit,
Just got GT for $220.75/ton

Last edited:
The 1 ton tote might be a little tough on your truck unless it is a 1 ton or has beefed up suspension. I've done the 1 ton with bags but distributed over the bed.
Work at the mill in Terrace Bay? SIL's Dad is there...

Yes, I work in the mill here. Not looking forward to the brutal winter ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.