overdraft issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingstove

Feb 25, 2014
Tennessee
Hi all, I installed a woodstock keystone this summer and have completed the break-in firing over the past month and a half or so when the temps outside were in the low 50's dropping into the mid 40's calm winds every time... I had no issues with overdraft.
Yesterday the temperature fell from 53° slowly all day with north winds steady in the 15-20mph range, by 4pm it was 44° I came home from work to a strange whistling noise similar to an old leaky window coming from my new stove. The stove was cold (hadn't fired it in 2 weeks) damper was open to 4, bypass was open and the door closed. I closed the damper and it got louder, that's when I discovered the 1/4" hole in the back of the ashpan. I opened the stove door and the draft was so strong it was swirling and sucking cold ashes right up the flue.
My house is on a slab with double brick clay lined chimney in the center of the house , the 6" horizontal insulated SS pipe from the stove is 22" long to a Duravent tee, from there is 7' of duraliner to a transition plate and 8' of duraplus out the roof (roughly 3' of class A above the roofline). So my flue pipe from the stove is insulated from start to finish.
So I light it, but notice right away I have to keep the damper down between 1 and 2 just so the kindling will properly ignite, once it does I throw in 3 very small splits to establish some coals, again the damper set at 2...now stove top is 200° the flue probe 400° I set it down to 1.5 let it go in bypass to give the stove time to warm up evenly. The flue temp is now 600 stove top almost 225 so I go ahead and load it with 3 med size splits, set the damper on 2 and let them all catch fire well, close the bypass and damp down to 1. The cat lit immediately stt was 275 flue temp 800°....45mins later the flue temp was still 800 and stt was 500-525. An hour or so into the burn the stt peaked at 600° and the flue temp had cooled to 700. My flue probe is roughly 1' behind the stove. I tried lower settings in increments down to 0 which made no difference in how the flames . The wood burned with lazy purple/blue flames being sucked up into the cat for a couple hrs, once the stt started falling the flue temp remaind the same as the stt. Everything I've read about flue temps with cat engaged says it will cool down to 350 or so shortly after engaging. Should I consider a key damper to control the flame? Or is th is normal?.. sorry it's so long I'm trying to get us all on the same page here

It sounds like an excessively strong draft to me. A damper may help the situation. however I am not overly familiar with cat stoves, someone else with more experience will chime in. (why is there a hole in your ash pan?)

Andrew

The hole is made into the casting, I really never knew it was there till it became a whistle. It's purpose has me puzzled also, maybe another keystock owner will chime in soon...

If nobody chimes in here, you could call Woodstock directly and explain the situation, and I'm sure they'll have some answers. They're the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.