1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Overfired my Orley

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by area_man, Mar 3, 2013.

1. area_man

area_man Member

Loc:
    Oregon City, OR
    I was upstairs when I heard the Clank and smelled something off. When I went downstairs I saw the thermometer laying on the floor and the stove at a faint orange. I immediately cut off the air and aimed a fan at it on high to try to get some heat off it. Within 15 minutes I got it down below 700. Still, I hear that magnets demagnetize at about 1000 degrees. It must have spent at least 15-30 minutes at 1000 or above.

I didn't hear any hard clanking noises or snaps or anything that would indicate broken welds, so there's that. Anything to worry about in the aftermath? I've burned it a couple times since then and everything has been OK.

It still holds wood and burns...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's easy to do. Try to not let that happen again.
  3. area_man

area_man Member

Loc:
    Oregon City, OR

Copy that.
  4. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I have A.D.D.......so this kinda thing happens weekly. Its been almost two years now of subjecting the stove to these regular "blushings" and no issues yet.
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Orley is a tough tank. I have seen several that have the paint whited out and they still seem solid.
  6. Wood Heat Stoves

Wood Heat Stoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nevada City, California
    I would check for broken welds but other than that it's probably OK. Yes, thermometers lose their magnetizum at about 1000 degrees, that's why they come with screws so you can screw them to the pipe so they don't fall off and burn your carpet.
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Orley is basically a barrel stove with a picture window. It's pretty tough.
  8. drumbum

drumbum Member

Loc:
    mid tenn
    High carbon steel.
  9. Wood Heat Stoves

Wood Heat Stoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nevada City, California
    I remember they had a lot of fancy scrolls on them but behind that was just a round barrel. That wasd a long time ago. They must be tough!