P38 best pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightray5271

Nov 23, 2010
N Maine
I was told by my Harman dealer that some pellet stoves like certain pellets as opposed to others. To all the P38 users out there what pellets are you having your best luck with?

Thanks
Ray

P38 wil eat just about anything, without much preference.

Try a few bags of whatever is available, go from there. Let us know how you make out.

Like hoss said try some of whats available to you in the area. But if you mention what is close to you. We might be able to help guide you to the better brands. We love to chat about pellets and it does make for some good chatting.

Of coarse your looking for the hottest, cleanest and at the most reasonable price you can swing. :) Some stoves aren't picky but the owner sure can be. So even if we say this or that is a great pellet. Still best to try a few bags to get a feel for them.

knightray5271, did you just get a P38? If so how is it??

Mine burns anything available but the ash residue can often show me differences from one brand to another.
I try to stick with a good name brand premium (low ash) but even they can be inconsistant from one year to the next.
Actually I find that my Englander PDVC also burns different brand premium pellets well so my only criteria is *Premium* grade . That said , I`ve not yet seen anything less than premium grade available around here.

Going on my 8th year with the old P38. The best brands I have found, keep in mind this can change yearly, have been the following: Hardwood-Somerset hands down. Softwood: Atlas, Clear Burn, Eureka
Pellets I will not burn again because of low heat and high ash content: Michigan Hardwood/North Country and Maeder Brothers-Both very sub par pellets compared to the other brands when burned in the P38. I hope this helps!

I have issues with Kentucky Kernal pellets. Some are over 2 inches long and they bridge/build up in the hopper. The stove will then not feed pellets and shuts down. It is a apin in the butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.