P43 chemical burn smell and smoke alarm. Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PennPellet

Jan 13, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'm running my harman p43 for the first time. Self installed. I'm not smelling wood smoke, but I'm smelling a plastic like smell. The smoke alarm is going off. The carbon monoxide detector reads zero.

All joints are visible and cocked with high heat silicone. Also taped. No smoke visible with a flashlight.

The oak entry is at least 3 ft below exhaust.

Any ideas?

I'm going to try a flashlight when it gets darker.

Thanks

Normal on the first couple of burns. It's just the paint curing, going to happen every time you get to a higher heat level for a little bit.

Yes it will smoke a bit. As others stated it's normal. Run it hot as possible to outgas it the fastest.

Have you cracked the stove door yet? Prob too late but sometimes the gasket fuses to the curing paint a bit...or a lot.

If it's stuck good, shut her down and gently work a PLASTIC putty knife in there to free it. Work from the latch side towards the hinges.

Def had an "oh chit" moment when I forgot to open the door during curing on my P68.

Have you cracked the stove door yet? Prob too late but sometimes the gasket fuses to the curing paint a bit...or a lot.

If it's stuck good, shut her down and gently work a PLASTIC putty knife in there to free it. Work from the latch side towards the hinges.

Def had an "oh chit" moment when I forgot to open the door during curing on my P68.
Crack it open when? Please elaborate.

Anytime during the burn in, which has obviously passed. Just open the door enough to get the gasket off the stove body, then shut it. Should take less than 2 seconds.

If you've already opened it without issue, your all set.

Mine did it for a few days. As others have said, every time you get it hotter, it will stink abit.

As the paint heats up and begins to cure, it sometimes adheres to the fibers of the gasket causing the door opening difficulty I'm describing. Opening the door a time or 2 will prevent that adhesion.

Just
As the paint heats up and begins to cure, it sometimes adheres to the fibers of the gasket causing the door opening difficulty I'm describing. Opening the door a time or 2 will prevent that adhesion.
Just opened end the door. No problem. Thanks for the warning!

Just

Just opened end the door. No problem. Thanks for the warning!

Very good. Hope I didn't cause you a bit of panic. Lol.

Where are the pix!? I hope you took some during the most exciting burn of your ownership.

I'm running my harman p43 for the first time. Self installed. I'm not smelling wood smoke, but I'm smelling a plastic like smell. The smoke alarm is going off. The carbon monoxide detector reads zero.

All joints are visible and cocked with high heat silicone. Also taped. No smoke visible with a flashlight.

The oak entry is at least 3 ft below exhaust.

Any ideas?

I'm going to try a flashlight when it gets darker.

Thanks
The instructions that came with my P61 said to burn in the paint by low heat and increasing it in increments for the first few burns of the stove. This will cure it best. I went through 40 minutes of smoke but a lot of it seemed to be from the heat exchangers ( new metal always has oils on board it seems). The paint seemed fine to me so I set the stove for my overnight burn right then and there. that first night I ran it in stove temp, I think either level 3 or 4 and feed rate 3. All was well if a bit chilly but the heat never came on either. This is not the first stove I have ever lit off and or repainted so I had a fan ready and window unlocked ready to open. Still set off the alarms and I was convinced it wouldn't , glad my tenant wasn't home cause in this house it's all hard wired together !

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
What - you got a new Harman - don't believe it! Where are the pics;lol
Thanks for all the help...I've had a lot of questions :)

Here's my pic. Not much to show, just got it running. It's hooked up to APC battery backup/ surge protector. Made the hearth myself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: P38X2 and Lake Girl
Thanks for all the help...I've had a lot of questions :)

Here's my pic. Not much to show, just got it running. It's hooked up to APC battery backup/ surge protector. Made the hearth myself.
That's great ! Is it making heat for you yet ?

Yes! It's 27F outside, snowing. its 76F on the floor where the stove is, oil furnace resting :)
Amen brother, that's what it's all about !!!!!!!!

It's hooked up to APC battery backup/ surge protector
Congrats on The Harman..
Which model APC battery backup/surge protector do you have ??

Status
Not open for further replies.