P61 overtemp issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Harman P61 I have the room temperature set to 55 but the stove is making the room upper 70s and some time 82
Is the room temperature probe connected? is it laying on the floor?

How old of stove? Last good cleaning including pulling the ESP?
I will get problem in title of thread, welcome

I have a Harman P61 I have the room temperature set to 55 but the stove is making the room upper 70s and some time 82
No its not I have it about 6 feet off the floor, let me say I have cleaned it replaced room probe, esp, control panels, gaskets the stove is now in its 14th year

Have a pet that could have chewed on the room temp probe?
Have you tried running the stove on stove temp instead of room temp to rule out issue with the room temp probe?

I have checked all the wires for damage and there is no damage I have 4 believe it or not control panels and two room temp probes all do the same, I have given up hope and no where to turn any more

esp, control panels, gaskets
When ? ESP controls stove feed and if it thinks it got some poor fuel or a weak fire it starts to feed high. Been a rash of ESP failures this season but usually causing a low fire. Control panels have a couple pot switches that wear and give all kinds of grief but usually the fan control not temp control. Worn leaky gaskets can allow more air into stove but not thru the fire and cools the flow out the exhaust fooling the ESP but usually not that much.

When ? ESP controls stove feed and if it thinks it got some poor fuel or a weak fire it starts to feed high. Been a rash of ESP failures this season but usually causing a low fire. Control panels have a couple pot switches that wear and give all kinds of grief but usually the fan control not temp control. Worn leaky gaskets can allow more air into stove but not thru the fire and cools the flow out the exhaust fooling the ESP but usually not that much.
so far the only gasket I have not replaced is the pellet box as I said earlier I have 4 control panels and they all do the same thing this has been a on and off problem for three years and like a fool spent too many dollars to get it fixed, esp has been replaced about three times and I have a new room censor but it does the same thing and tests the same as the old one

Gaskets are about the cheapest of any of the stove repairs. I don't know if the replacement of the ash bin gasket would improve the issue but if cold air is coming in through it and not getting any heat from the fire it could really mess with ESP. Has there ever been a manometer used to set the exhaust fan?

Gaskets are about the cheapest of any of the stove repairs. I don't know if the replacement of the ash bin gasket would improve the issue but if cold air is coming in through it and not getting any heat from the fire it could really mess with ESP. Has there ever been a manometer used to set the exhaust fan?
I replace the ash pan gasket the problem is the stove gets to hot set at 55 and like last night I had to shut it down around 2am it was 82 in the house, the exhaust fan has never been touched nor do I know haw to do that, I am about to get another esp it seems to be a yearly thing.

I miss read your last post and see the only gasket not replaced is the hopper lid.
I don't have any more ideas. If i had it in my shop I would be tearing out all the wires and checking if there was something showing wear etc.

I miss read your last post and see the only gasket not replaced is the hopper lid.
I don't have any more ideas. If i had it in my shop I would be tearing out all the wires and checking if there was something showing wear etc.
I've gone over every inch of the wires and have not found anything that I can see wrong with them. When I do shut the stove down I have waited 5 hours then have had to just unplug it.

The manometer reading taken at the port at the bottom of the fire box and the screw for adjusting the fan is on the board.
So you have the stove on a good surge suppressor or like many here a UPS to help protect the board?

Thing is the ESP is hooked directly to the board.
Heres a wag, have you ever check the outlet for proper wiring and polarity? It pops up from time to time here in the couple years I have been trying to help with smart stoves.

Thing is the ESP is hooked directly to the board.
Heres a wag, have you ever check the outlet for proper wiring and polarity? It pops up from time to time here in the couple years I have been trying to help with smart stoves.
No I haven't the wiring is from the mid 1950s, I guess I should check it.

I would highly doubt it has a good ground then too. I bought a house(built in 50s) and seen it had a new power panel and been signed off by inspector only to find all the outlets had the ground not hooked up or wire cut:(

I just check the plug and the hot and the nuet. are reversed. I guess I'm going to fix that problem. I suppose it already ruined the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.