Pacific Energy cracked welds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hemlock said:
BeGreen said:
raybonz said:
There are many here that heat with wood exclusively and they would disagree with that slow response as would I... Sorry but this a heater not a radio that you can live without.. My 2 cents..

Ray

There is nothing shown in this thread that would prevented the use of the stove while the issue was being considered for warranty repair. The area of the welds was not mission critical. If you are expecting instant service from any dealer in the heart of the heating season, you are not understanding how busy these people are at that time.

True - the stove was not un-useable. The welds are internal, and did not compromise the overall safety of the stove.

As long as the stove was safe to use I can agree with the response time.. If unusable that would be a different story because this is really not a luxury item in my opinion.. I look at the stove the same way as a furnace even more so if this were my only heat source..

Ray

Hemlock - I am glad things are working out to your satisfaction. There are still two things to consider. First, will the repair welds hold? Hog's and my repairs appear to cracking again. The stresses causing the internal cracks can possibly migrate to the external body. Ask them to extend your 5 year comprehensive warranty so that you get at least one or two burn seasons to observe the integrity of the repairs. Otherwise, if the repairs don't hold, you will be past the 5 year comprehensive and will be paying for the removal and labour.

Secondly, read what is written in your manual in regard to the 5 year comprehensive warranty for defective parts. Does it give the option to "replace or repair"? My manual just states "replace", and it was a selling feature for me at the time. The dealer at the time of the sale also emphasized the warranty at the time. That is why I was and still am a bit perturbed that the defective part (cracked firebox) was repaired and not replaced.

I actually would have preferred if PE had sent a tech over to inspect my stove. In my opinion that would have shown that they are more serious about understanding and fixing what could be a manufacturing problem with the automated welds and/or steel quality.

hemlock said:
Final word - PE has come through. Recieved a call from their distributor saying they will remove the stove and repair the cracked welds. They have lived up to their warranty and good name. Thank you Pacific Energy.

On that note - I truly hope I have not soured anyone on PE, or hope that I have not brought their name down at all. Once again, that was not the intent of this thread in any way, shape or form. The stove, (and I'm sure all others by PE) are very well made. Incidents like this happen, and the company has honoured their end of the warranty just as they said they would. That should speak volumes about the company. Don't hesitate to buy a Pacific Energy. As the dealer/distributor pointed out, this should be taken in context - as a percentage of good stoves to ones with defects, the numbers of defective stoves is near zero.

Further to that - I hope the mods will consider deleting this thread. I regret that I may have been too hasty in starting this thread, and in retrospect, would have allowed for more time to pass allowing for a resolution. Upon re-reading it, it does cast Pacific Energy in an unfairly negative light, and I would not like to think it swayed a potential customer away from purchasing a PE product. My initial frustration with the problem should not negatively reflect upon Pacific Energy at all.

Pure class

Status
Not open for further replies.