Pacific Energy Summit air control problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you get some larger splits of wood? If yes, how large?

With the extreme cold weather you are experiencing, draft is probably quite strong. You may need to reduce draft and/or air going to the fire. I would start by blocking off the boost air port with a magnet and consider putting in a key damper into the flue pipe. But that may not cure the issue if the splits are more like kindling size.

I've foil taped the boost hole and gap left from the main air. It's behaving quite nicely today. No wind. I'm just incredibly disappointed in the air leakage through the ash door on this $3000 stove! If I don't pack it down with ashes, it pulls air like crazy. Poor design as far as I'm concerned.
This is what I'm burning. It's been in my woodshed for almost 2 years.
uploadfromtaptalk1455557094300.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1455557139328.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1455557308421.jpg

The ash pan door is not sealed and doesn't need to be. The sealing is done at the ash trap door in the floor of the firebox. That is one place to also check. If a clinker or coal gets stuck in the ash trap door it can leak air under the fire. Make sure it's closing completely. FWIW I tried the ash system twice and have not used it since in 8 yrs of burning. Not a big fan of most ash collection systems and would rather just shovel the ash out. Personally I'd be happy if it was an option and not standard on the Alderleas.

Reactions: Seanm
Thanks. Yes, I realize the pan itself isn't supposed to seal, just a small door in the box. And it's that little door the pulls air. No matter how much I work it to try to get a good seal.

Next time the stove is cold vacuum out that area and then wipe clean. It should seal pretty well. If not, call the dealer out. In the meantime, leave the ash hole filled with ash.

I feel like I'm in kindergarten. 'He said ash hole'.

I'm still running my summit stock and am quite happy with its performance so have left it that way but I may just have to try covering the boost hole to see if I can tell a difference.

Reading these last few posts makes me glad I was able to not get the ashpan option on my summit.

• Haha
Reactions: davidmsem
Status
Not open for further replies.