Pacific Energy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BillsWS said:
certified106 said:
BillsWS said:
Not much to reprot but I have a PE Vista Classic at my cottage. It gets fired on the weekends. I end up with ashes behind the stove that must blow out the air intake at the rear once it cools down. I am shopping for a new stove for my basement but it will be used mainly on weekends too so I decided I would pass on the PE's. No real complaints with the stove though and our local PE dealer is awesome with service, etc....

That's a new one, I am not even sure it would be possible to suck ashes up through the secondary combustion system and have them come out of the secondary air inlet.

When I pull out my ash drawer I can look right out the approximately 3" hole in the rear heat shield where an OAK would install (per manual). I am thinking that the ashes might be blowing out that hole from the ash pan. I am still investigating the ashes behind the stove. It bothers me and I am not sure where they are coming from but if there were any hot ashes in my ash drawer it could be dangerous.
I never use the ash pan on mine, just scoop them out and the ash pan is empty, you must use your ash pan correct?

This view of the top of the T6 from PE's web page looks to me like the pieces dont line up very well. For those of you that have the Alderlea, how do the pieces line up?

AlderleaT6HRCloseup.jpg

I wonder where pe ranks amongst other companies as far as stove sales....

BillsWS said:
This view of the top of the T6 from PE's web page looks to me like the pieces dont line up very well. For those of you that have the Alderlea, how do the pieces line up?

That looks pretty good to me accounting for lens distortion and camera angle. This isn't a car. They are heavy, moving, cast iron pieces.

BeGreen said:
BillsWS said:

That looks pretty good to me accounting for lens distortion and camera angle. This isn't a car. They are heavy, moving, cast iron pieces.

The other images on their web page and the pictures of PE's posted here all look like the parts line up better than the corners and top above. Maybe it is camera angle or something on that one view.

In my second season with my T5 and very happy with it, simple to use and not bad looking to boot.... bought it used off store floor as it was a demo for 2000.00 . its hooked up to 16 feet of straight up exhaust , have never had a draft issue or backpuff.... i fooled around with blocking off some air with foil but ended up going back to stock. my only issue is with full stove i can get single wall readings past 450 but it cools down after a while. long story short i love the stove

BillsWS said:

AlderleaT6HRCloseup.jpg
On my stove everything looks like it lines up fine. The very front corner piece looks weird in the picture but what the picture doesn't show is it is actually a rest/support for the trivets when you swing them out which is why it is higher than the rest of the stove lines.

1st year burner with a Vista insert....its nice. No long burn times. Supplements my oil for a lil bit when I'm sleeping. Have yet to have it running 24 hrs.

I am on my second season with the T6 and all is well. The stove is efficient and simple to operate. Great heater and the panels line up good on mine. As stated before, it might be camera angle that distorted views of the pic.

The ash pan is a joke. I had a V.C. Encore which had a great ash system compared to the PE. However, when I replaced the griddle, front door, ash pan and bypass gasket plus the cat on my parents Encore it reminded me why I like my PE.

If I was in the market to buy a woodburner I would most likely be a PE repeat customer.

I had a 2005 PE Pacific insert. It liked to get really hot and I never felt I had control over the fire. As a result, the firebox developed some cracked welds and also developed a hairline crack along the door frame.
After dealing with PE, they finally replaced the firebox with a 2011 Super insert this past November via warranty. I notice a difference in the running of the new insert. I feel that I have more control over the burn now. It still puts out heat, but doesn't run away. I find I am burning less wood too. Overall, I am satisfied with the new Super insert. It looks more classy too and has two smaller blowers vs. the old Pacific's single blower.

BillsWS said:

AlderleaT6HRCloseup.jpg

The side panels can be removed and adjusted - requires a socket wrench with a long extension. I took mine off for a while last yr to get a "hybrid" T6/Summit. Wife made me put the side panels back on. So the side panel alignment is adjustable if that is a concern.

madison said:
BillsWS said:

The side panels can be removed and adjusted - requires a socket wrench with a long extension. I took mine off for a while last yr to get a "hybrid" T6/Summit. Wife made me put the side panels back on. So the side panel alignment is adjustable if that is a concern.

Thanks Madison. I plan on looking at some PE's today. Does the porcelain PE need the break in fires? I am thinking not because there is no paint to cure or am I not thinkging about this right?

BillsWS said:
madison said:
BillsWS said:

Thanks Madison. I plan on looking at some PE's today. Does the porcelain PE need the break in fires? I am thinking not because there is no paint to cure or am I not thinkging about this right?

Manual link from the T5 "Classic" (porcelain) : http://www.pacificenergy.net/alderlea/pdfs/alderlea_manual.pdf

Note same manual for all the Alderlea's, recommends break in fires. pg 13

It's my fourth winter with a Vista Insert. Good heater for its size, easy to use, built like a tank. Wish it was a bit bigger for longer burn times, but I have a small fireplace and that's what would fit. No quality issues that I can see. Some of the bricks on the bottom are starting to crack, but they're replaceable and I just keep at least an inch of ash on the bottom. I like the steel baffle--I don't have to worry about cracking a ceramic baffle when loading the stove.

BillsWS said:
madison said:
BillsWS said:

I don'nt have experience with this yet but I asked the same question yesterday of a salesperson/store owner...she said it's for seating the joints? I'm assuming all stoves have to be broke in.

Correct, the porcelain jacket does not require a break in. Though I like to start the season or break in with a small fire to drive moisture out of the bricks. The next fire can be hot, to bake in the paint on the inner steel stove. There will be some stinkiness with that fire, so plan on opening a window or two.

Second season with my Super 27. Zero complaints.

Reduced my wood consumption by about 1/3rd compared to the old "airtight" styled non epa that came with the house. Extremely easy to control and still have enough coals 10-12 hours later to simply open the draft, rake coals and add full splits. I'm not too sure how I could do better from a performance standpoint.
It ran 24X7 from November to Mid March last season and only generated an incredibly small amount of soot. Hardly worth the effort to sweep this fall.

Will have a hard time NOT buying another one when we move from this house.

I should mention that we have had some nice reports for the True North stoves too.

We all talk about how important the quality of wood is with out stoves... This is by far the best wood I have burned mc wise this year ... Anything suspect I sit it by the stove for a couple days ... However , due to the fact I split smaller to make sure the wood was dry, I now have a stove that loves 700-800 ..
I checked my door gasket and ripped a dollar its so tight ... My pipe run 15-17 ft ... But no matter how I run the stove its gets up there ... Sometimes the ss baffle will glow a faint red but other than that nothing, stove just likes to go up.. I am buying new thermometers just to eliminate faulty ones...
What I love so much is it doesn't over power you. I can get the stove room 78-80 sometimes but 78 is usually the highest but my upstairs hallway is 74-76, bedrooms 68 - 70.. for the money I can't complain at all...
But I think I just figured out why! I insulated my fireplace ..

I heated with my Pacific Energy Super 27 for 6 years. Loved it. Moved to a gassification boiler to heat the whole house, garage, and domestic hot water. (zero oil goal completed) The Super 27 is still in the basement for back-up. I may eventually move it out on to the covered porch off the back of the house and close a section in just so I can fire it up in the winter and enjoy watching the fire.

iceman said:
We all talk about how important the quality of wood is with out stoves... This is by far the best wood I have burned mc wise this year ... Anything suspect I sit it by the stove for a couple days ... However , due to the fact I split smaller to make sure the wood was dry, I now have a stove that loves 700-800 ..
I checked my door gasket and ripped a dollar its so tight ... My pipe run 15-17 ft ... But no matter how I run the stove its gets up there ... Sometimes the ss baffle will glow a faint red but other than that nothing, stove just likes to go up.. I am buying new thermometers just to eliminate faulty ones...
What I love so much is it doesn't over power you. I can get the stove room 78-80 sometimes but 78 is usually the highest but my upstairs hallway is 74-76, bedrooms 68 - 70.. for the money I can't complain at all...
But I think I just figured out why! I insulated my fireplace ..

That was me about the PE's loving the dry wood.

With this cold spell, I dug into a stash of 3 YO oak. It's been sweet :)

I might add, that the stove does well with seasoned pine, too ;-)

That was me about the PE’s loving the dry wood.
With this cold spell, I dug into a stash of 3 YO oak. It’s been sweet
I might add, that the stove does well with seasoned pine, too

Oh c'mon Dix. If you haven't figured out yet that Murph is soaking some of those splits in Kerosene from the garage, when you are not looking, you need to pay more attention to what that dog is doing. That fur of his is not very long and he likes those fires toasty!

Thank you all so much for the positive input...sounds like a winner. Love the sound of that super 27...might be a bit big for me... wonder what the vista's like. Jeff

Love my pedestal Summit. Burns beautifully, and from when I go to bed until way into the morning like 8-9 hours. This may not seem like a lot, but its with the stove only filled about 1/3 full. Plenty of heat, easy ash removal. No need of a damper with my SS Olympia pipe insert. No issue with my wood less than fully cured, I just split it smaller.

Can't imagine anything to make the stove better. The pre EPA stoves are no match for it.

Hey just saw you bought a Super 27 congrats they are great stoves I am thrilled with the T6 and so is my wife. This morning knowing it was going to be warm I just placed a row of splits across the bottom of the stove at 5 am and at 6 pm I got home raked the coals forward and had it going again in less than ten minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.