1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Paint my stove door today, any tips?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by paulgp602, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

So I received my Stove Bright Metallic black spray paint yesterday and I am going to touch up my door after work today. For those of you who have painted cast iron before, are there any tips you can pass my way? It is a door on my Regency insert that I believe is cast iron. I am going to take the door off and newspaper the window off so I dont get any overspray on the glass. I also was going to wipe down the door with some acetone to remove any oils from handling it.Thanks for any tips

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    Sounds like a plan. The only thing I would add is to wire-brush the door first to help rough up the existing paint and remove any loose chips or rust. (surface prep is the key!) From there, just follow the manufacturers instructions on the can. Be prepared for some fumes on the next start up, so if there is a warm weather window, you may want to aim for that so you can open a window for a while.

Good Luck
    Corey
  3. kd460

kd460 Feeling the Heat

If it's just a touch up, I would be a little concerned about the acetone removing some of the finish. Probably better to use an automotive grade grease and wax remover. Not sure if it is a baked on finish or just a spray on type paint. Acetone will probably not hurt a baked on finish, buy might with a spray type coating.

If your doing a complete re-do of the door, then I guess it don't matter. Good luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.