paint on top of stove - cooktop slight haze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
My stove is an insert but has a cooktop that extends a little less than a foot forward. The back part of the stove is shrouded. We haven't really used the cooktop to cook, just have a pot of water on a trivet. The stove is cold right now so I took the opportunity to clean it outside and in. I sponged it off to remove ash and etc.

There seems to be an ever so slight haze in sort of an oval shape for the whole center of the cooktop. meaning basically everything except the edges. It's only ever so slightly detectable. This stove has stove bright metallic black paint.
I'm not concerned about it in terms of appearance or anything but wonder if this is normal or if it's possibly indicative of an overfire or something. Nothing is warped or weird, we have been burning about a year with no problems.

Just curious if some paint change is expected.

I would imagine the paint would change color. I have a soapstone stove and even the stones color changes slightly over time. I believe due to the heat.

You can apply stove black to it. It comes as either a paste or a thick liquid. Be careful to spot test it as some brands are more grey than black.

Thanks, guys. I don't need any stove black yet - like I say, it's just barely even noticeable and only because I cleaned it up so well. It's kind of a metallic charcoal color so I don't really want to go with stoveblack or anything like that unless it looked really bad. I was just curious whether this was a normal thing or not. I always see those pics of the cheap vogelzang stoves that were overfired to a white color - while this is nothing anywhere near like that I just wondered if it was normal or indicative that I ran it too hot or something. Only maybe once did I feel like I really got it too hot, and that was not for a sustained period of time.

tickbitty said:
My stove is an insert but has a cooktop that extends a little less than a foot forward. The back part of the stove is shrouded. We haven't really used the cooktop to cook, just have a pot of water on a trivet. The stove is cold right now so I took the opportunity to clean it outside and in. I sponged it off to remove ash and etc.

There seems to be an ever so slight haze in sort of an oval shape for the whole center of the cooktop. meaning basically everything except the edges. It's only ever so slightly detectable. This stove has stove bright metallic black paint.
I'm not concerned about it in terms of appearance or anything but wonder if this is normal or if it's possibly indicative of an overfire or something. Nothing is warped or weird, we have been burning about a year with no problems.

Just curious if some paint change is expected.

Is the haze you are seeing in the location where you place your trivet? Does your trivet have 'feet' on it or does it set flat on the stove top?

Center of lower cooktop area, oval in shape, kinda faded but only when you look at it in just the right angle? thats the "hot spot" on the stove top. wait till it gets to where it buggs you, then touch up with paint. you will know if you overfire cause the paint will really lose its color, start to flake/turn white. what you describe is noemal for the few lopi stoves I have seen.

Shari, no, this isn't near the trivet, it's the whole deal.
Yes, Pineburner, it's just as you describe. Almost like it's just dryer or something. Good to know it's "normal" and not that I'm doing something wrong. Guess it makes sense that the hot area would age faster, it's just paint on metal after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.