1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Paint Recommendations?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by chamas, Jan 13, 2013.

1. chamas

chamas Member

Loc:
    PNW
    Looking for paint recommendations. My EF2 has some scratches and few small patches of surface rust. When winter's over, I want to spruce it up. What products can you recommend? Hopefully something that will not stink when the stove heats up. Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
  3. stoaf88

stoaf88 Member

Loc:
    RI
    I like stove bright and also rustoleum high heat matte black
  4. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    They're all gonna stank to some degree during the first burn or 2. Best to do it on a warmish day.

Stove Bright works well. Others will chime in but if not, try contacting Enviro and seeing what they recommend. Some paints match MUCH better than others.
  5. imacman

imacman Guest

RustOLeum Hi Heat Ultra satin black is a real nice paint. Used it on all my pipes 4 yrs ago....still looks great. Can be bought in any place like Wally world, and is also available in the BIG cans.
  6. DneprDave

DneprDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western WA
    Any high heat paint, they all stink when heated up the first time.

Dave
  7. Big E

Big E Member

Loc:
    Upstate Panhandle NY
    Stove Bright
  8. chamas

chamas Member

Loc:
    PNW
    Thanks. For the Stove Bright, which one? The hi-temp or the vent pipe paint? Seems the hi-temp doesn't cure until 600*F, and the outside of my stove runs from near ambient temp to a high of 230*F just below the door. Would the hi-temp paint ever cure?
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

Vht paint works great as well and cheaper than Stove Bright. Runs around 9$ a can, Stove Bright close to 20$
  10. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    This may sound like overkill, but if you are able to pull the stove outside for painting, I recommend burning it at least once while in the driveway. I used high heat paint and it seemed to take at least 5 good burns before the stink and smoke started to subside. The house stunk and the family was thrilled with the smell.
    The dog even looked disappointed with me.
  11. chamas

chamas Member

Loc:
    PNW
    I hear you. Last winter, on my first stove, the previous owner had done a quickee paint job. Paint smell never really disappeared the whole season.